cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check Operator Services

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am on Pay & Go Mobile. Its always been ok. I want to top up my credit via voucher. When i ring 4444 all i get is an on screen message saying 'Check Operator Services'. Is this resolved via O2, or by using my phone, allthough i tried that & cant find any thing relating to this prob. Where do i find Operator Services & is this prob easily solved. Can any body help please.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Checking operator services just means you have network coverage and your sim is active.

Check your postcode here O2 Status

Bear in mind that O2-s systems get overwhelmed around this time every year and some services may be switched or very slow.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Checking operator services just means you have network coverage and your sim is active.

Check your postcode here O2 Status

Bear in mind that O2-s systems get overwhelmed around this time every year and some services may be switched or very slow.

Message 2 of 12

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Just after midnight on new year (when you made this made) is a very very busy time of year for all networks, hence why most texts don't start being delivered until about 4am.

Are you still having problems topping up or is it working now?
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

(Not sure whether to tag on here or start a new thread)

Anybody know how to resolve the "Check Operator Services" message when trying to text? I've got the same problem, and thought it was because the systems might be busy on Christmas Day evening; however, the problem is permanent for me - still get the same message even now.

I've tried in two locations on many different days since - Shropshire and Yorkshire - so it's probably not a coverage problem. Plenty of credit (it's PAYG on an unlocked Orange antique, a Nokia 3510i). Man in local O2 store said it was probably the phone and to bring it in - but my online O2 account no longer shows my balance - just an error saying "Tariff is not in scope."

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Could be a SIM failure but the online account info sounds a little worrying.....
Did the store not offer you a sim swap when you went in ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't actually give the guy at the store too much info when I went in; I had got it into my head that it had something to do with the switchover of O2 Home Broadband to Sky, and I wanted to know if they'd been inundated with people having the same problem.

That's why I just used an old phone - I got it unlocked and bought the O2 SIM so I could get a discount on the O2 Home Broadband. Obviously, it'd be nice to continue using the phone, as it was fine for 3-4 years and still has well over a hundred quid credit.

No mention of a SIM swap, but I guess if I do go into the store again with the phone, I might get offered something like that. Just hoped somebody here might say, "Oh, yeah, you just need to press '1-2-3'" and it'll all work again!

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's certainly not connected to broadband, so I would try a new sim first (store will swop everything over for you, number, credit etc) and see if that helps.
You may also have to contact CS to sort out the online account issue - They are on 4445.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5 - I'll do that, probably talk to CS first (assuming the phone will allow it; I can receive texts but not send; haven't tried to call out as I only normally use my mobile for txts) - to see if I can confirm the account balance etc in case there's a problem at the store.

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Good plan......

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

NetworkNorm
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sorry but I must challenge you on your statement that "most texts don get delivered until about 4am"

This is a bit of an urban myth that annoys me year after year. I and several friends always send our texts at dead on midnight every NYE and they are always delivered either immediately or at worst in a few minutes.

Message 10 of 12