cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make Calls or texts but Data works?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So a weird one. - Last night around 7pm I suddenly lost my signal. My phone was searching all night, then around 3am it came back.. However, I could only use Mobile data and was unable to make calls or texts. 

When I try to make calls or texts, I get the notice mobile network not available. 

I've done the usual and then some (quite tech savvy with phones being an XDA user) reset the radio using the hidden menu, searched new networks, reflashed back to total stock firmware etc.

If i check the live status checker for my postcode it says everything is working fine.

Even now I have a perfect data connection and can use it fine, but can't make calls or texts and it shows GSM calls are disconnected.

Tried the sim in another device and it also does the same..

Is this happening to anyone else? or is it just me? 

York is where I am.

I know loss of service can and does happen, but when you can access parts of your service and not the parts you actually rely on is a bit of a pain.

Regards,

Mark

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

After it bugging me I rang o2 again and behold! managed to get through...

Apparently my IMEI has been reported stolen to the network.. Bizarre considering the phone is 2 months old and direct from o2 online.  (LG G3) - I certainly haven't reported it, as the thing is here in my hands, bill has been paid, yet doesn't explain why I still have full data usage?

Blegh more issues with o2 again, *sigh* there was a reason I left them the first time... Actually haven't got the time to be messing around with advisors who seem

1) Clueless

2) Unwilling to actually do anything

Anyway, I know what the issue is for now, just a shame I won't be able to resolve it until late next week when I return to the UK. *sigh again*

For now, apparently o2 are looking into it altho the guy on the phone didn't seem that bothered, but I'll not hold my breath.. Can see this being another o2 nightmare.

Mark.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
What phone have you got, have you had it from new? I had that with an iPhone 5 I got secondhand from CEX once. Turned out the phone was blacklisted - managed to return it for a refund though.
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Turn the phone off , remove sim and wipe. Re insert and turn back on. Try again.

Have you phoned O2 to have your account checked ref your allowances etc.

Mast congestion is affecting people across the uk.

Try switching to 2G in your phone by turning off 3g in your settings.

Can you try your sim in yet another phone as a process of elimination. I know you've tried once.

Help thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Done all the above steps.  

Shouldn't be any allowance issues as I have unlimited texts and calls and maybe only use about 20minutes of calls and around 400 texts per month, My data allowance still shows me as having 4.56GB or so left. Thing costs me £46 per month. I also forgot to add I have a secondary contract also (the GF's) and hers is working fine, which I find strange. (was her Z1 I tested the sim in, as well as an Nexus 5 device)

I tried ringing earlier and last night, but was on hold for far too long, haven't got the time to be waiting for an advisor 😕

Message 4 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
I guess it's sim related so pop into an O2 shop and get them to swap it out for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't take this the wrong way but are your bill payments up to date.

We've known people have bars put on their account before.

Best speak to O2 just to check your account.
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5
I'll drop into an O2 shop at some point next week, have a flight to catch this evening, so short of time.

@Anonymous

Yeah all up to date, just found it strange that it was working then suddenly stopped only for data to be working. Plus I'm halfway through a current bill cycle - last one was paid 2 weeks ago.

Cheers for now guys.

Regards,

Mark

Message 7 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
Fairly confident it's sim related but be sure to let us know one way or t'other please slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Let us know how you get on please.

slight_smile
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

After it bugging me I rang o2 again and behold! managed to get through...

Apparently my IMEI has been reported stolen to the network.. Bizarre considering the phone is 2 months old and direct from o2 online.  (LG G3) - I certainly haven't reported it, as the thing is here in my hands, bill has been paid, yet doesn't explain why I still have full data usage?

Blegh more issues with o2 again, *sigh* there was a reason I left them the first time... Actually haven't got the time to be messing around with advisors who seem

1) Clueless

2) Unwilling to actually do anything

Anyway, I know what the issue is for now, just a shame I won't be able to resolve it until late next week when I return to the UK. *sigh again*

For now, apparently o2 are looking into it altho the guy on the phone didn't seem that bothered, but I'll not hold my breath.. Can see this being another o2 nightmare.

Mark.

Message 10 of 17