Did you mean: 

Sending text via data plan

jengarweb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a new iPad mini along with a data plan through o2. The plan offers 10GB of data (which doubles to 20GB due to VOLT) and includes 100 texts, but no minutes. However, despite these inclusions, I've encountered an issue where I am unable to send or receive any texts using the number linked to the data plan.

While this isn't a critical issue for me since I have unlimited texts on my mobile, it's still a feature I'd like to use, especially for receiving verification codes and such without inundating my mobile with calls. The plan explicitly mentions this feature, so it's a bit puzzling why it's not working.

I've already checked iMessage settings on iOS to ensure everything is properly configured, but everything appears to be in order. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their o2 data plan? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37203 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Despite the tariff I believe you cannot utilise the messages using an ipad

Message 3 of 9

jengarweb
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that. As I said it's not a biggy but I do think it's wrong in o2 clearly stating on the contract that it's a feature when clearly it's not. Not for the iPad anyway.

Thanks very much

Message 4 of 9

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7072 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

iMessage is a completely different messaging systems to SMS text messaging included in your allowance.

iMessages can go over data whereas SMS was designed for the phone network rather than data.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 9

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@jengarweb wrote:

Thanks for that. As I said it's not a biggy but I do think it's wrong in o2 clearly stating on the contract that it's a feature when clearly it's not. Not for the iPad anyway.

@jengarweb 

O2 are not the only network to include a hundred text messages as part of their data-only SIMs. However, my understanding - someone will correct this if it is wrong - is that these hundred texts are not for communicating with people. That is the same across all of the networks.

The inclusive texts are provided for administrative purposes, such as for texting O2 for information about your contract, as well as for convenience in setting-up apps. 👍   

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

Not at all.

Android devices are capable of sending and receiving texts.

iPads can do neither.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 9

Bengie
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Clearly they forgot to tell my iPad that it can't send text messages, and not knowing, it does so anyway.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

@Bengie wrote:

Clearly they forgot to tell my iPad that it can't send text messages, and not knowing, it does so anyway.

Indeed you can if you set up sms forwarding from your iPhone, but that's still no use if customers only have an iPad.......

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102545#:~:text=With%20the%20Text%20Message%20Forwarding,from%20the%2....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 9