cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I sign an o2 account over to my son?

Hudson
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi slight_smile
I was wondering if anyone knows whether I would be able to sign an o2 account over to my son?

He as been the one using the number on the account for many years now, but I am the named account holder (and bill payer) as he was a minor.
But now he’s 18, and works full time, I want him to have the responsibility of paying his own bills and managing his own account etc.
All contracts have been fulfilled on the account, so nothing is owed.

Maybe, there are other parents out there, who have been in this position already, with their grown up children? How did you go about changing your phone accounts from yourself to your child?

Any info would be gratefully received
Cheers slight_smile
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @Hudson 

Your son will need to take a new contract in his name as he needs to pass the credit checks .

You can then give permission to migrate the number across so he doesn't lose it. 

The other option is to just change the payment details to come from his bank, but the account will still be in your name.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @Hudson 

Your son will need to take a new contract in his name as he needs to pass the credit checks .

You can then give permission to migrate the number across so he doesn't lose it. 

The other option is to just change the payment details to come from his bank, but the account will still be in your name.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's much better for him and for you to get his own account and apply now in his own right. Just changing the account from which the payments will come means he is responsible for payments and for any usage outside his allowances but it means he will be free to upgrade at any time and were he to default, the responsibility then becomes yours.I'm sure that wouldn't happen but maybe your best option would be for the two of you to go instore together to sort out an account for him and to migrate the number over.

Message 3 of 8

Hudson
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your reply @MI5 slight_smile

That’s really helped to answer my query, and to understand the options that I have.

I appreciate you taking the time to help slight_smile

Message 4 of 8

Hudson
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your reply @jonsie slight_smile

I was thinking the same as yourself, about that second option. I’m going to advise him to set up a new account as himself. I think he needs to start experiencing the responsibility of having his own bills. And if I’m still linked to the account? then it’s too easy for him to rely on Mum to sort anything out... 🙄😂

I appreciate you taking the time to comment slight_smile
Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Hudson It also means that your son can begin to develop his credit history, which will help him as he gets older.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You're welcome @Hudson

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8