cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age confirmation

Anonymous
Not applicable

"You've got to be over 18 for this website."

Probably the most annoying "security feature".

Why don't you just check/confirm it by looking at my profile ?

Regards,

Matt

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Community Forum.

Appreciate your frustration but it is a safeguard that anyone over 18 can get past via a quick confirmation online or by visiting an O2 high street store with I.d

With the current tone of things available on the net, I as a parent am relieved that such filters exist.

It's a fact that their are persons under the age of 18 using contract SIM cards being paid for by their parents so even though the profile / account info would lead to an adult using the services it could indeed be a minor so O2 have to in my view take this necessary precaution.

Also anyone can get hold of a Pay as You Go Sim Card too.

It's then down to the account holder to authorise the content filter lifted.

Official O2 link Ref Age Restriction : http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=54554
Message 2 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately O2 and other networks seem to ban these sites unless you prove your age I understand it fully on pay as you go but don't agree with it on contract but you will have to follow the instructions in bobs link to get it lifted some have had it lifted just by calling customer services
Message 3 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I fully support this piece of legislation.
The account holder can easily get the block lifted but I'm happy that it remains in place on the 2 accounts I pay for my kids to use.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
It should really be opt in rather than having to prove your age as you have to be 18 to take out the contract and if someone is then going to give that phone to a child it's down to them to block access
Message 5 of 39

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I guess Ofcom decided to do it that way as it is safer than having someone not aware it was an option.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am all in favour of the safety and protection of children and minors.

However with a community forum surely there should be some leeway?

Nowadays kids are getting smartphones and tablets as a way of life It may be a responsible adult is paying for the contract but its the kids using the devices.Its these same kids that want to know more and more about what their device will do

I have a 15 year old grandson who has smartphone and a tablet. Already he knows more about his devices that either his parents or grandparents do.

However he often wants advice about the latest app or firmware etc etc etc etc.

What is he to do?

Pointless asking close family because we cant help.. Friends may give him poor advice

Community forums could help him immensely....... but his only option would be to lie about his ageSmiley Mad

Not every kid with a smartphone has parents as expert as some of you on here ...#justsaying slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 39

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm not aware that phone forums fall into an adult classification?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think they do Rich.

He has attempted to join three (forums) in the past and has been told he has to be 18....

(Don't ask me for proof, I am relying on what he tells me when he is frustrated about it all)

EDIT...he is asked for his DOB when registering...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 39

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Not the nice ones slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 39