Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay As You Go

Topics: 576
Solutions: 16,526

Re: Sat Nav Tethering 02 Classic

I’d call to check.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Level 2: Apprentice

Just done it.  They say there's no cap on data on my account but that I should visit an O2 store to have both the phone and SIM checked for any further advice.  Can't say that was massively helpful lol.  I don't see how it can be the phone when I used this phone with the talkmobile SIM no problem.

Not sure what they'll be checking but would a carphone warehouse be able to do the same checks?  There are 2 CPWs much closer to me than the nearest O2 store.

I’d go to an o2 store and get a new sim first.
The download speeds you are getting though are pointing firmly towards a hotspot issue so I think it’s o2 that are massively restricting your speeds on a tethered connection.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:

Can't really afford to lose the ~£9 on this SIM and stick £10 on a new one atm, unless they can transfer the credit?

Topics: 770

@TitaniumThey can transfer credit between sims so no worries with that...

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker

Ah thats alright then, I'll try that next time I'm in town, probably be Thursday next week.

Will let you know if a new SIM sorts the issue. 

I wouldn’t suggest it if you were going to lose out Smiley Wink

Currently using:

Been to the O2 store today... They're 100% sure that you can't use a mobile hotspot on o2 PAYG. Not sure what to believe tbh. :/

You never used to be able to but it was recently changed so that you could. We had this confirmed by @Marjo already. The store is just not up to speed with the latest info.

Currently using:

They wouldn't replace the SIM, but could I do it myself using the SIM swap if I order a new one?  I did actually order a new one to do that last Monday via webchat but the SIM never arrived (and tbh I'm not sure I trust their knowledge on SIM swaps either)...I know the weather was bad then but it it should've been here by now, we've had post again since Thursday.  They did give the option of them doing the SIM swap, posting it out and cancelling my current one within the day...glad I didnt go with that option!

I've also just read this below, it doesn't mention using Android on PAYG.  Not sure if it's just poorly worded or if it means you can't use it with Android? 

Setting up a personal hotspot
To use your phone as a personal hotspot, you’ll need a 3G or 4G connection.

For Pay Monthly customers, if you have an iPhone or Android, simply switch Personal Hotspot on to get started.

If you’re a Pay As You Go customer, you can now tether up to five devices on your iPhone if you have:

• an iPhone 5 or newer
  • iOS 10.1 or newer - to update your iOS software, go to Settings, then tap General, Software update to check if any update is available
  • your carrier setting as version O2 26.1 – to update your carrier settings, you need to go to Settings, then tap General, About and, if available, a pop up should appear to change the carrier setting.

On Windows Phone, you need to go to Settings, then tap Internet sharing, Share over, and Wifi. Then make sure Sharing is set to On.