Did you mean: 

Sat Nav Tethering 02 Classic

Titanium
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I had to move to 02 Classic after my talkmobile tariff became obsolete about 5 months ago.

I occasionally use a sat nav for long trips which has live traffic updates on it, they work via Bluetooth to the phone, and then to the internet via WiFi or data.

The problem is, since changing to 02, the sat nav traffic will no longer work via data. It still works through WiFi at home but obviously that's not much use for a sat nav lol.

I was told this sort of tethering is allowed on 02 as I asked before changing over. So is there anything I need to do on the phone or sim to make it work?

Thanks
Tom
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to enable the personal hotspot on the phone and then pair the sat nav to the phone by entering the code displayed on the phone screen.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 45

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Keeping your data on all the time to use SatNav is a waste of your data allowance. Most phone's SatNavs work fine just connected to GPS. Turning your data on occasionally to check the traffic ahead is fine, but to keep it on all the time? Personally, I wouldn't have thought it was worth it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 45

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Traffic updates are just a few kb's and only download occasionally, they don't constantly use data.
If it's a Tomtom, mine used to pull in 5kb update files each time it connected, but you can also get a TMC adapter which uses the radio stations to pull in traffic updates for free.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah it is a TomTom, works out roughly 1MB per hour...1p per MB since the price drop.

Anyway, I still can't get it to work though, have even tried deleting the phone from the sat nav and pairing it again to get the code screen but it just won't pick up traffic through data. I've got personal hotspot and Bluetooth tethering turned on and a good 4g signal. Sat nav says traffic is 'activated' but the icon is greyed out and no traffic showing on the map. If I turn off 4G and turn on WiFi, the traffic shows within seconds. Can't work out what's going wrong here.
Message 5 of 45

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Which tomtom is it as the older ones needed a DUN connection for traffic updates?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It's a Via 52, bought it just over a year ago.

Message 7 of 45

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Check your phone settings are as advised here.
Internet sharing needs to be enabled as well on some devices https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/name/Connect/page/3/session/L3RpbWUvMTUxODg4NDc5OS9zaWQvZl...

Currently using:
Message 8 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sorry, I should've said, it's an Android phone, not Windows. I followed that guide on thier website earlier, should just be Bluetooth tethering and mobile hotspot as far as I can tell.
Message 9 of 45

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, that is correct.
What are the apn settings on your phone?
Name: o2 Internet
APN: payandgo.o2.co.uk
Username: payandgo
Password: password
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 82.132.254.1
MMS Port: 8080
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: If you're given a choice of options, pick internet+mms. If the keyboard shows, type in an * symbol.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 45