Did you mean: 

Sat Nav Tethering 02 Classic

Titanium
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I had to move to 02 Classic after my talkmobile tariff became obsolete about 5 months ago.

I occasionally use a sat nav for long trips which has live traffic updates on it, they work via Bluetooth to the phone, and then to the internet via WiFi or data.

The problem is, since changing to 02, the sat nav traffic will no longer work via data. It still works through WiFi at home but obviously that's not much use for a sat nav lol.

I was told this sort of tethering is allowed on 02 as I asked before changing over. So is there anything I need to do on the phone or sim to make it work?

Thanks
Tom
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I’d call to check.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just done it.  They say there's no cap on data on my account but that I should visit an O2 store to have both the phone and SIM checked for any further advice.  Can't say that was massively helpful lol.  I don't see how it can be the phone when I used this phone with the talkmobile SIM no problem.

Not sure what they'll be checking but would a carphone warehouse be able to do the same checks?  There are 2 CPWs much closer to me than the nearest O2 store.

Message 32 of 45

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I’d go to an o2 store and get a new sim first.
The download speeds you are getting though are pointing firmly towards a hotspot issue so I think it’s o2 that are massively restricting your speeds on a tethered connection.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 33 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can't really afford to lose the ~£9 on this SIM and stick £10 on a new one atm, unless they can transfer the credit?

Message 34 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TitaniumThey can transfer credit between sims so no worries with that...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah thats alright then, I'll try that next time I'm in town, probably be Thursday next week.

Will let you know if a new SIM sorts the issue. 

Message 36 of 45

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I wouldn’t suggest it if you were going to lose out wink

Currently using:
Message 37 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Been to the O2 store today... They're 100% sure that you can't use a mobile hotspot on o2 PAYG. Not sure what to believe tbh. 😕
Message 38 of 45

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You never used to be able to but it was recently changed so that you could. We had this confirmed by @Marjo already. The store is just not up to speed with the latest info.

Currently using:
Message 39 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They wouldn't replace the SIM, but could I do it myself using the SIM swap if I order a new one?  I did actually order a new one to do that last Monday via webchat but the SIM never arrived (and tbh I'm not sure I trust their knowledge on SIM swaps either)...I know the weather was bad then but it it should've been here by now, we've had post again since Thursday.  They did give the option of them doing the SIM swap, posting it out and cancelling my current one within the day...glad I didnt go with that option!

I've also just read this below, it doesn't mention using Android on PAYG.  Not sure if it's just poorly worded or if it means you can't use it with Android? 

Setting up a personal hotspot
To use your phone as a personal hotspot, you’ll need a 3G or 4G connection.

For Pay Monthly customers, if you have an iPhone or Android, simply switch Personal Hotspot on to get started.

If you’re a Pay As You Go customer, you can now tether up to five devices on your iPhone if you have:

• an iPhone 5 or newer
  • iOS 10.1 or newer - to update your iOS software, go to Settings, then tap General, Software update to check if any update is available
  • your carrier setting as version O2 26.1 – to update your carrier settings, you need to go to Settings, then tap General, About and, if available, a pop up should appear to change the carrier setting.

On Windows Phone, you need to go to Settings, then tap Internet sharing, Share over, and Wifi. Then make sure Sharing is set to On.

Message 40 of 45