cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two phones, a Motorola Moto G 3 and a Motorola G5. I use Big Bundle data tariffs for both.

When I try to use the G5 as a hotspot, it connects perfectly to other devices and I can browse without a problem. 

When I try to do the same with my G3, it appears to connect as my devices can see it but when I try to browse, I get a message saying that I am not connected to the internet. The only difference that I can see is that the G5 connects to the 5Ghz band but the G3 connects to the 2.4 Ghz band and there is no option to change it as far as I can see.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can solve this?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Which tariffs exactly are you on and have you tried switching SIM cards bettthe phones?
It will determine if sim or phone that is giving the issue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

They are both O2 Data Big Bundle with 2gb data for which I pay £10 per month.

Not sure about the SIM sawp as one's a micro and the other a nano.

Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

*swap*

Message 4 of 26

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Ah ok.
I doubt it’s a frequency problem as 2.4 is more compatible than 5 so everything should be able to connect.
Is it every device or just one?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose I could press the micro out of its surround and try to insert the nano into it and vice versa but wonder if I'd just be making a problem for myself.

Message 6 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

The G5 works with my iPad and Windows 10 laptop but the G3 doesn't work with either.

Message 7 of 26

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
iPad will connect to both frequencies so start by checking the settings on G3 but in all honesty I wasn’t aware you could tether on PAYG with Android.
Strange though that you can with the G5.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

i grasped the nettle and swapped the SIMs and the result is that I can browse with the G5 but not the G3 so it appears that the problem lies with the G3. I've gone through the user guide with a toothcomb and there's nothing directly relevant which left me wondering if restoring network setting might do the trick. I can't think of anything else.

incidentally, I must have been mistaken about being able to browse with my Windows machine as I can't do it now.

Message 9 of 26

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Worth a try.
I can’t think of anything else either.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 26