cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Data session' PAYG

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi.
I've just moved from 3 payg to o2 classic payg and I'm curious about the data charges and anyone's experience. It says 1p minimum per data session. My phone constantly has apps draining small amounts of back ground data as do most phones. Everytime anything takes a couple of kb am I going to get a 1p charge. If not and it refers to the actual conNecton of 3g/4g does it mean I will get charged Everytime my connection drops due to coverage? Just not entirely sure how this will work and how they define 'data session'.It may be that 3 was the same and I'm worried about nothing...just a little confused. Anyone experience would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
From t & c
Thanks to all. Data session ends:
(a) switching off your device;

(b) switching off mobile data on your device;

(c) by O2 if a data session has remained open and inactive for 6 hours;

Message 11 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And 

(d) by your device or apps running on your device (e.g. if your emails are set to update every few minutes). The number and frequency of data sessions that can be ended (and therefore charged) depends on which handset, apps and settings you have.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops. Thanks.
Message 13 of 22

Supercnj
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry to bring up this old topic but I'm trying to find out the answer to this question and it is still not clear to me if this is a good option for me.

I'm looking to get a PAYG sim for my son's GPS watch, which will only be used to obtain GPS locations and the very occasional calls. So I would expect the watch using say a couple of kilobytes to send/receive GPS locations perhaps a few times a day which would not amount to 1Mb.

But if each data session costs a minimum of 1p. Does that mean I could be paying 1p for every GPS location request?

Message 14 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Total usage is counted up at the end of each day and charged for accordingly to the nearest mb.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the balance will go down by £1 initially and then refunded when the data use has been calculated.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 22

Supercnj
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. So if I used say 5kb intermittently, throughout the day, totalling say 50kb in 24hrs, does that mean I would be charged 1p as it is less than 1Mb?

Or will it be 10p because each use is considered a “data session”?
Message 16 of 22

Supercnj
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The issue is the small print, it says minimum 1p per data session.
Message 17 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
They class a session as a day.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 22

Supercnj
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If that's the case, it would seem fair and would suit my needs well.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated! slight_smile

Message 19 of 22

likeman
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I guess I will also find out as well see if it works like that (just picked a O2 sim up see how it goes as was thinking of using giffgaff but all ready been charged 6p today on data and that's just a tracker, but I do have the tracker set to an aggressive 10 second report rate most likely going to cut that back to 30 seconds witch seems recommend as well as 100m movement if possible on this tracker) 

As it specifically says session not per day witch could be lots of penny's if it was that way if your lost signal (I fully understand its not the data used it self its bringing the GPRS/mobile data connection up witch should be a session) 

Most m2m Sim company's seem to say they do same but only charge in 6 hour blocks if a disconnect and reconnect occurs say 10 times inside that 6 hours you only be charged once

Also how does credit work on O2 does it expire, do you still do swipe e-topup cards

Message 20 of 22