cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Data session' PAYG

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi.
I've just moved from 3 payg to o2 classic payg and I'm curious about the data charges and anyone's experience. It says 1p minimum per data session. My phone constantly has apps draining small amounts of back ground data as do most phones. Everytime anything takes a couple of kb am I going to get a 1p charge. If not and it refers to the actual conNecton of 3g/4g does it mean I will get charged Everytime my connection drops due to coverage? Just not entirely sure how this will work and how they define 'data session'.It may be that 3 was the same and I'm worried about nothing...just a little confused. Anyone experience would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-pay-as-you-go-tariff-terms#data Says at 20mb or end of data session and goes on to explain on classic have a read of the t&c

and explained here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will get charged for any use of data so if you are worried then turn off mobile data for the apps you hardly use or just use WiFi 

Message 2 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Data is counted in kB and then charged per mb but you might find your balance go up and down as it is initially charged at a flat rate of £1 and then adjusted afterwards.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply. Restricting background data on apps many will still occasionally connect even system tools within android. If I'm going to get chared 1p every time google play service pings for 5kb or something my credit will soon disolve. Also for example I don't mind paying 1p to send a whatsapp message but if everytime I open the app or receive a txt I don't want charging 1p for a couple of kb. Maybe a session refers to the established connection of mobile data through the signal. Maybe I'm ovethinking confusing the issue.
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's good. At least they accept use of kb. But I'm still concerned over the minimum charge of 1p per session and how a 'session' is defined. To me a session starts when something connects then ends when it disconnects. Is this referring to an app for example like weather using mobile data to help with location for a couple of kb. Would this be considered a session as it's connected then disconnected and chargeable at 1p. Or more how I'm. thinking now once 3g/4g is established in the signal that is a 'session' and any use there in is chargeable at a 1p minimum total. That way essentially/potentially you would pick up a 1p charge everytime you lose signal or go flight mode.
Message 5 of 22

MI5
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
You don't, as I said it's counted in kb until you reach 1mb and then you are charged.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 22

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-pay-as-you-go-tariff-terms#data Says at 20mb or end of data session and goes on to explain on classic have a read of the t&c

and explained here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 22

MI5
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

wrote:
That's good. At least they accept use of kb. But I'm still concerned over the minimum charge of 1p per session and how a 'session' is defined. To me a session starts when something connects then ends when it disconnects. Is this referring to an app for example like weather using mobile data to help with location for a couple of kb. Would this be considered a session as it's connected then disconnected and chargeable at 1p. Or more how I'm. thinking now once 3g/4g is established in the signal that is a 'session' and any use there in is chargeable at a 1p minimum total. That way essentially/potentially you would pick up a 1p charge everytime you lose signal or go flight mode.

Yes, a "session" is from when you connect to when you disconnect.

The data is counted up for that "session" in kb's and then charged for accordingly in useage per mb.

As I also said earlier though, we have heard from others that £1 would be taken initially and then adjusted later, so your balance may fluctuate whilst it's calculated accurately.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
So maybe I read it wrong and like your saying essentially they mean the minimum chargeable amount is 1mb at 1p. Rather than you will be charged a minimum of 1p per session which is how I was reading it.
Message 9 of 22

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

From the help link 

“No data capped. Your Top Up balance will be deducted after every 20MB block of data usage or if the data session is ended (whichever happens first). There is a minimum charge of 1p per data session. The cost of each data session is rounded up to the nearest whole penny“ so each data session is a min 1p 

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 22