cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky on demand downloads over 4g

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking for advice on 02 mobile broadband service. I'm considering switching my broadband to mobile as I'm suffering from slow speeds on fixed line. I have a Huawei b315 hub and have been trying it out with a O2 3gb payg sim and achieving great speeds. However I'm having issues with sky on demand on my sky box. The downloads are failing. Sky go works on my iPad but I have been unable to download anything on my sky box. However I have also been trying a three mobile card and it works with sky on demand. Does O2 block sky on demand streaming? 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As far as I know o2 do not block any services, but do use compression on its proxy service that may affect it, but unless you have an unlimited data service mobile broadband is not a replacement yet for fixed line broadband

This lists o2 traffic management policy http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Kana/pdf/traffic_management.pdf

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 technical help also told me this but I just can't seem to get it downloading. I popped in the three sim and it worked first go. My home broadband is out of contract and I'm willing to give this a go as I'm only getting 0.9mbs download speed. The 4g is running about 30+Mbps.

Message 3 of 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I guess it depends on the servers it is coming from and the file sizes. But I have streamed loads via my iPhone tethering to iPad but not tired an sky services as I do not have sky. (I have a 30gb data package on pay monthly) using bbc iplayer and other terrestrial on demand services seam ok but are data hungry in hd.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Might give sky a ring to see if they have any ideas. O2 is ideal for me as the service is quite good and they are doing double data deals a the moment. 40gb for about £27 per month. Assuming I spread the usage over the whole month there should be no restrictions placed on the speed or usage.

Message 5 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Tey using "bypass" as your APN log in as it will bypass the compression settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Welcome to the forums @Anonymous Please let us know how you get on with this issue! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

No success so far. Contacted 02 again and they were not too sure. Suggested that certain things can be restricted in certain areas to save bandwidth. Pity they can't be clear and give a definitive answer. Speed is fantastic but not getting access to everything is a bit of a pain

Message 8 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Sorry to hear that @Anonymous Did you give @MI5's suggestion above a go? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried bypass but no luck. 3 mobile works using same setup but speed not as good.

Message 10 of 20