Data Roaming outside EU high charges

AD666
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there

I just moved over from EE.

I noticed that when roaming outside the EU on O2 standard rates (no travel bolt on), data is charged around £7.20 a mb which means that simply by turning on ones phone when outside EU could lead to large bills (as the phone downloads emails etc in the background). EE limited this by making you buy a data bundle to use data abroad but it seems O2 will just start charging you the £7.20/MB when you land.

Is there anyway to stop data being charged per MB when outside EU (apart from turning data roaming off on the phone which is hassle to remember) and restricting data access to only being allowed when you buy a data bundle/travel bolt on? 

thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@AD666 

O2 travel is free to add so just enable it so it's there when needed.

You can opt-in to O2 Travel by texting TRAVEL to 23336. You’ll only be charged for the days you use it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@AD666 

O2 travel is free to add so just enable it so it's there when needed.

You can opt-in to O2 Travel by texting TRAVEL to 23336. You’ll only be charged for the days you use it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

AD666
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks but O2 Travel doesnt work in several countries so I dont think that really solves the issue.

I just wanted to confirm that there is no way to stop the ridiculously high £7.20 a mb charge when landing and turning one's phone on (apart from remembering to turn off data roaming in advance)?

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

No other option than to keep data off in those countries @AD666 

Message 4 of 8

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7925 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

Use the phone dual SIM with data set to another network.

Look at the likes of 1p mobile and see what they charge for where you want to go. 20p per MB is quite standard.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 8

AD666
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks guys makes sense.  I actually tend to buy local e-sims before landing which work out much cheaper  £3/gb ish. 

I mentioned that EE don't allow you to use data abroad without buying a data bundle which i thought was really useful so you didn't run up big bills.  Do you know if O2 have anywhere on their website where we can provide suggestions/feedback? Doesn't seem to be an option anywhere.

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 149371 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

D&F forum here @AD666 https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/bd-p/4

Tag @Dave-O2 in your post.

Message 7 of 8

AD666
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks vm

Message 8 of 8