cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam warning, received this email, requests all bank acct details once logged in

Anonymous
Not applicable

This e-mail was sent to me by O2.

Hello MICHELLE,
Your O2 account requires your immediate attention.
We've made some important security changes to our website and in our best attempts to keep you safe, we require each of our customers to confirm their accounts in order for their mobile services to remain active.

Please confirm that the information displayed below is correct:

Name:MICHELLE
Date of Birth:
Mobile Number:
Current Plan: O2 300 24 month £17.45 per month

You must now click here HERE to verify your O2 account.
Regards
The O2 Team

Sorry, but we can't write back to you from this address, so please do not reply.

This email is sent from Telefonica UK Limited
Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Registered number: 1743099

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I got this e mail too at 22.30 on Tuesday also got a text message on Monday evening about the same time
They have my name, date of birth, phone number, e mail address and they know I'm on pay monthly contract.
I signed up directly with O2 so they must have gotten my details from them
Why haven't we heard anything from O2 ???????????????

Our Community team have been informed as of today and they are passing all the info on. There has been a breach of security somewhere we think....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I got this e mail too at 22.30 on Tuesday also got a text message on Monday evening about the same time
They have my name, date of birth, phone number, e mail address and they know I'm on pay monthly contract.
I signed up directly with O2 so they must have gotten my details from them
Why haven't we heard anything from O2 ???????????????

they are currently investigating it, you are one of many who have come here reporting this & im sure you wont be the last. the community coordinator @Toby will hopefully give an update when he has any information

Message 42 of 62

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
A delete option would be more appropriate right now

You wont ever have the option to delete...even within seconds of posting. wink

If you wish to delete...you have to go into the edit function that (you cant find) delete what you have written and just write 'deleted by me'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bambino, I'm sure "everyone in the world" loves to pass their time reviewing the contents of the 02 community just in case they come across someone like myself who was trying to help out and in haste, copied and pasted across all of the spam email i'd received. Fact is, those details are already out there due to a breach of security... Unable to edit and unable to delete said post hasn't been exactly helpful
Message 44 of 62

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I didn't say what I said to be unhelpful. I'm just telling you the way it is. I didn't say it to offend you. This is a public forum, and you'd be surprised how many people visit the site. You made a mistake posting your details. I don't know why you were unable to edit the post. The moderators have to bear most of the responsibility for your details being out there for so long. In my opinion, they're not doing their job properly, as evidenced by the fact that they're still visible more than 90 minutes after you first posted them. 

My suggestion that you change as many personal details as you can still stands. Protect what you can.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 45 of 62

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just to add...I have also PM'd Toby (the community co-ordinator) to let him know of the problems that were experienced by two of our members re editing.....I think as @Bambino  said we were trying to be helpful...Just didn't realise you had a problem with the edit function wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
I found the advice by @MI5 to be helpful as he understood what I meant & tried to help me find out the problem
Message 47 of 62

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Did you ever find the edit function @Anonymous ? I have PM'd Toby to inform him of your problem and Michelle's....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 48 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
No I never found it after many attempts & helpful advice from yourself & @MI5, hopefully @Toby will rectify the problem, thanks again for informing him @Cleoriff
Message 49 of 62

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I'm guessing that if it's not O2 themselves that's been hacked then it's one of their "Trusted Partners" that's been a tad lax.

It's a pity the OP's personal data is still showing after 2 hours...nice one O2 Community Smiley Mad

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 50 of 62