Festive snacks, sweets & treats

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

IMG_7525.jpg

Hi everyone, 

During this season, with the cold weather creeping in and the days being shorter, I find that festive treats can lift up my mood and make me forget about the freezing wind and grey skies. In fact this weekend, I spent a couple of hours making the gingerbread men you can see in the picture on the right - the smell alone was fantastic, but the snacking that followed was even better smiley

Do you have any favourite treats you like to get over the festive period?

Gingerbread, mince pies, chocolate candied oranges, candy cane, some fudge, anything caramel, a good cup of hot chocolate, ... there are so many options out there, and we all celebrate the holidays in our own way - I'd be curious to know what are the treats you like most over this time of the year! christmas_tree

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Two things, other than mince pies of course:

Tunnocks teacakes and Spekulatius biscuits:

91sBnlwmYfL._SX342_.jpgCoppenrath-Spekulatius-170631.jpg

Message 31 of 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I like the teacakes. Can't say I've tried the biscuits. I'm more for shortbread...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 38

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Then there's the mighty Pandoro (plain, no fruit in this one) and the Yule Log (not Cadbury's, but M&S or Sainsbury's do nice ones) :

15-pandoro.jpgyule-log.jpg

Message 33 of 38

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
They do exist and are more obvious now.
Think I saw them in Lidl last time I was in there...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 34 of 38

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Lidl's ones are ok, but a bit heavy.

The Coppenwrath and Wiese ones are available in Poundland this year, for the 400G pack I pictured.

I am sure M&S or Waitrose will have their own versions.

Typically each biscuit shows a scene - elephant, windmill, Santa, palm tree, woman, lion, etc.

spekulatius-butter-wn08-2.png

Message 35 of 38

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Love the teacakes and the Yule log @pgn but the biscuits and Pandoro are new to me. Are the biscuits sweet?

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 36 of 38

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Yes, @Glory1@ sweet with cinnamon and clove aroma, and very crisp. Common in Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands..

And the Pandoro is a sweet, leavened plain cake, of Italian origin. Varieties with fruit, Panettone, and Nutella or chocolate are available.

I forgot the German Stollen, a sweet bread filled with marzipan and raisins and/or other nuts :
ba14d9b6-ed1c-40cf-8e6a-e8eaf86aaf45.jpg

Message 37 of 38

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Ooh @pgn those biscuits sound delicious and I love cinnamon and cloves.

I thought the Pandoro, from it's name, might be Italian and again sounds delicious.

But German Stollen, oh God I love Stollen and forgot to check if Waitrose still stock it. I know they used to. I'll have one of my friends I'm staying with check if they can get any of the treats you mention in a shop in Cambridge. Hope so yahoo

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 38 of 38