cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Text 28484 genuine O2 or a scam

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just had a text message from O2 " Hi, it's O2, we'd like to ask you a few questions about your experience of O2's network quality in your area. All texts are free."

Then had a second text from "28484" asking How satisfied are you with our network quality (coverage, reliability, speed) in your area? On a scale of 5 (Very Satisfied) to 1 (Very Dissatisfied)"

I attempted to reply to the text but was warned the text might incur charges. How can I be sure this is not a SCAM?

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys/@Anonymous 

I can confirm that 28484 is a legitimate number used by O2. Any questions please let me know. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 11 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous  Not sure if it's O2, but as a general rule, we advise to never respond to cold calls or texts.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's normal for your phone to warn of potential charges when texting a shortcode number. It doesn't mean you will be charged.
O2 and all other networks often do surveys such as this and this number is known to us on the forum as been used by O2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, the trouble these days you can never be sure what is genuine and what is not, so you have to be wary and not reply.

If it is a genuine O2, then O2 ought to have a location that we can check if the text number is genuine or not.

Message 4 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes indeed, too many scams these days.
@Martin-O2 may be able to check the number for us also.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 17

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the mention @MI5. @Anonymous I'll check with the rest of the team if this is a genuine number or not. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This is a very old thread originally posted by @Cleoriff, but the number is different. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/O2-Satisfaction-survey-BY-TEXT/td-p/477856 @Anonymous I would say that you are wise to be wary. Have you recently made a purchase or contacted O2 in any way? Personally, I don't think that sending random surveys is very good business practice, if that is the case here.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Mine from O2 was a different shortcode 29898

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

This is a very old thread originally posted by @Cleoriff, but the number is different. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/O2-Satisfaction-survey-BY-TEXT/td-p/477856 @Anonymous I would say that you are wise to be wary. Have you recently made a purchase or contacted O2 in any way? Personally, I don't think that sending random surveys is very good business practice, if that is the case here.

Thanks @Bambino. As you see from my post above...I have since had another one...again with a completely different shortcode...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've had a few from different numbers or different names, such as O2, O2-UK _o2_, etc.
It would help if there was some consistency.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 17