cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't Wifi calling include SMS and MMS messages?

Loony22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

exactly that, wifi is great but i have such low signal indoors that sometimes cant even send a text message.

Message 1 of 112
111 REPLIES 111

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As o2 were late to wifi calling I would not expect to see it anytime soon (hope to be proven wrong)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 112

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi guys, 

I've chased a response to this question this morning. I'll update this thread as soon as I have news. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, totally not impressed with O2 over this.  O2 were last to the party with WiFiCalling then don't include SMS with this technology.  WiFiCalling seems to prioritise itself as the default, while I have a WiFi signal, even with a mobile signal, calls are routed over WiFi.  Since SMS doesn't work across this, I'm now not receiving text messages nor am I able to send them.  I use an iPhone SE so iMessage works but many of my contacts are Android users and I cannot send or reseive SMS from them, I cannot advise them all to use WhatsApp and some senders, namely delivery companies use SMS to advise me of deliveries, these messages won't get through to me.  So, turned off WiFiCalling then found I cannot go back to Tu as it now doesn't work with my account.  Come on O2, get this sorted!  Else after more than 12 years it's time for me to change to a better provider........

Message 13 of 112

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Wifi calling has absolutely no effect on text messages at all.
Whatever problem you had is nothing to do with that.
If you want to go back to Tu you need to de-register from wifi calling.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 112

dplumb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You say that, but on Three and EE, you can send old school SMS text messages of the 160 character variety (that appear in green within the iPhone app) over wifi calling.

I have no cellular of any kind at home, I leave my phone in flight mode with wifi on, I have wifi calling enabled, see "EE WiFiCall" displayed, and can send and receive old school text messages quite happily.

Question is, why does this not currently work on O2.

Message 15 of 112

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sorry, didn't realise you were in flight mode.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable

After extensive testing, I can state that SMS text messaging does NOT work via O2's WiFi Calling.  If I have no mobile signal at all, or indeed am in Flight Mode with WiFi enabled, I cannot send nor receive SMS messages.  I have noticed however, that if WiFiCalling is displayed and I still have minimal mobile signal, SMS does work, lose the mobile signal, lose SMS ability.  Not very good is it?

Have O2 responded why SMS is not enabled over WiFiCalling while it works with all other UK mobile providers?  When will O2 enable this feature?

Message 17 of 112

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We wouldn't know as we are only customers like yourself.
You'll have to ask customer service.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the previous post by Martin-O2, Community Manager:

"I've chased a response to this question this morning. I'll update this thread as soon as I have news."

So I was essentially asking if he had news, even though I presume he is part of the "we" you refer too.  If I were to ask customer service, do you really think I'd get a straight, proper, truthful and knowledgable answer?  Really??

Message 19 of 112

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
My point is that no one here works for o2 in any official capacity in relation to the community.
Asking o2 is the only way to get an answer to your question but if you want to chase Martin to see if he has any news from o2 you'd be best to tag him so he sees your post @Martin-O2

Currently using:
Message 20 of 112