Did you mean: 

Understanding Apple watch cellular

Jimbob38
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

I am currently an O2 business customer and I am looking into purchasing an Apple Watch Cellular. I have some initial questions that I would appreciate clarification on please. 

Having done some research it appears that it is not currently possible to get an Apple Watch cellular working on a business tariff. The resources I found were a few months if not years old. Can I check that this is still the case?

If that is still the case then I believe that my only option is to have a dual sim and take out a second consumer contract with O2. Then connect my watch to that. Is that correct?

This already is not ideal as I would be paying for another phone contract just for the watch. Extra monthly cost etc. which all seem to be around the £20 per month mark plus the Watch connection fee of £5 per month.

My primary use for the watch is to be contactable in an emergency when I do not have my phone on me. So me calling out or texting is not a huge priority for me given that I could be contacted via a messenger app like Facebook instead. So I really only need internet data. 

With that in mind I see that there are tablet tariffs that are cheaper that only include data and text but no voice minutes. Can I use this tariff with the Apple Watch? What happens if someone wishes to call me, does it just not connect? 

To avoid being tied into a contract or paying off the watch on credit. I plan to purchase the watch elsewhere outright and then connect an O2 tariff to it. I went into store today to talk to O2 and they told me that there is an issue with connecting watches bought elsewhere I.e direct from Apple to O2 tariffs purchased separately. Is this actually true? They said that the only way I could do it is to purchase a tariff and the watch directly with O2 as part of a contract 24 months or whatever. 

I went into a competitor and they said that it’s fine to purchase a watch elsewhere and connect a tariff to it. So is it just an O2 issue then?

I probably have more questions but those are the main ones for now. 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Jimbob38
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not sure if it is relevant but I plan to purchase the Apple Watch series 8 and I have an iPhone 14 Pro. 

Message 2 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10421 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3054 Solutions

@Jimbob38 

If you have an o2 business account you cant use the apple watch, as it is not supported on Business or Enterprise accounts at this time.

There is an issue caused by Apple that is causing some issues when connecting it to o2, that Apple and o2 are working on.. 

To be honest I would just buy a Garmin 🤣🤣

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 10

Jimbob38
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I have a Garmin but lack ability to communicate out and about. Apple seem to be the only option but it’s proving to become a bit of a headache. I can’t believe in this day and age we have this issues with something so simple. 

Message 4 of 10

Jimbob38
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just out of interest is this just an O2 related issue or is it on other networks as well? I am starting to think I should just move away from O2. 

Message 5 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146003 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28089 Solutions

@Jimbob38 

Save yourself a world of pain and don't bother.

O2 had been failing to connect Apple watches for months now, way before the latest Apple update which seems to have made things worse.

Just search the forum and 90% of the posts are related to people not able to connect their watch.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 10

Jimbob38
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I am just starting to see that having searched through the forum a little more. How frustrating!! I might well be going to another network if that’s the case.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 146003 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28089 Solutions

I certainly wouldn't dream of getting one on O2 @Jimbob38 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 8 of 10

Jimbob38
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can I ask if the problem connecting the Apple Watch to O2 is an isolated incident for a few customers or is it for everyone trying to connect at the moment? Has there been any success, if so what was done to resolve it? 

Also does it have any bearing on the setup issues people are experiencing if I purchase direct from O2 or purchase from Apple and then connect it to O2 afterwards?

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 146003 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28089 Solutions

@Jimbob38 

We only see the complaints on here so difficult to say, but there certainly are many such complaints.

Message 10 of 10