Did you mean: 

Signal Dropping every time I make a Call

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Quick question.....

I have noticed, that on my iPhone 6, whenever I make a normal phone call, my 4G signal (or 3G) will completely vanish? Smiley Frustrated

As an example, yesterday, I was in area of 4G and my phone had 5 full bars/spots/dots (!!). I then made a phone call, and subsequently watched my 4G signal, completely disappear from my phone. I could still talk on the call so the genersal signal for making a call was still there, however, it was not a 4G or 3G one.

After the call ended, I watched my phone, slowly drop to GPRS, and then to 'E' and then back up to 3G and then finally, to 4G.

Is this normal?  I was under the impression that it is still possible to browse the web whilst on a call (if you want to look somethig up) however, in the scenariio above, this would have been impossible as all my service had disappeared (apart from the service which allows the actual phone call).

Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 47
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

4G is only for data at the moment. It doesn't carry phone calls.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

4G is only for data at the moment. It doesn't carry phone calls.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Yes, it's normal for O2.
You can't make calls over 4G so you will immediately lose that but O2 limit 3G to calls only (not calls and data when on a call) so 3G will drop off too.
The capability is there for simultaneous calls and data but it's not enabled on O2 (at least according to other peoples reports on here).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 47

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Yes, it's normal for O2.
You can't make calls over 4G so you will immediately lose that but O2 limit 3G to calls only (not calls and data when on a call) so 3G will drop off too.
The capability is there for simultaneous calls and data but it's not enabled on O2 (at least according to other peoples reports on here).

...ok, cheers for that MI5 - so I guess that means that when I am on a call, I cannot browse the web or use an app which uses data, at the same time?!

That seems like a HUGE oversight for a handset, which is supposed to be 'cutting edge' technology.:smileysad:  What if I want to look something up whilst on a call?

Are you saying that this IS possible on other networks then?

Message 4 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I can browse the web ok on the iPhone 6 plus whilst making a call on 3G.

After making a call my phone switches back to 4G within a few seconds but I've seen posts from people where theirs do not and have to turn airplane mode on and off to help reset it back.

Depends in signal strength I assume.
Message 5 of 47

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
I'm talking now about other peoples comments on here:
They have complained about not been able to do it with an O2 sim in their phones, whereas they can with say a Voda sim.
Let me try it myself now on my Sony Z1 and see if I can do it or not (I've never had the need before that I can remember).......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 47

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi

I can browse the web ok on the iPhone 6 plus whilst making a call on 3G.

After making a call my phone switches back to 4G within a few seconds but I've seen posts from people where theirs do not and have to turn airplane mode on and off to help reset it back.

Depends in signal strength I assume.

...that certainly doesn't happen with me.  I was in a strong 4G area yesterday and had 5 full bars. As soon as I placed the phone call, the '4G' synbol vanished completey (nothing replaced it - it remained blank). As soon as the call ended, I watched my phone - first the 'GPRS' symbol came up, then the 'E' symbol showed up, then '3G' and then finally '4G'.

This impies that whilst I was on the call, I did not have 3G, or Edge or GPRS but just the basic signal which allowed the phone call.

If I am honest, my iPhone 4 used to  do the EXACT same thing - make a call and ALL service disappears (3G, GPRS and Edge) until AFTER the call has finished.

Message 7 of 47

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Dino, I've just tried it on my Z1 in Coventry on 3g and I was able to make a call and go on the internet at the same time, so I can confirm it's not a network restriction.
It is either a phone restriction or a network issue where you are.
If possible I would suggest you try it in a different location and also try your sim in a different phone to see which it is.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 47

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Dino, I've just tried it on my Z1 in Coventry on 3g and I was able to make a call and go on the internet at the same time, so I can confirm it's not a network restriction.
It is either a phone restriction or a network issue where you are.
If possible I would suggest you try it in a different location and also try your sim in a different phone to see which it is.

...hmm, ok. 

Will have to test this at home (where I get a strong 4G connection) when I next get the chance and will report back!

Message 9 of 47

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
It's a strange one.....!
Be interesting to hear the results of your tests....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 47