Did you mean: 

Signal Dropping every time I make a Call

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Quick question.....

I have noticed, that on my iPhone 6, whenever I make a normal phone call, my 4G signal (or 3G) will completely vanish? Smiley Frustrated

As an example, yesterday, I was in area of 4G and my phone had 5 full bars/spots/dots (!!). I then made a phone call, and subsequently watched my 4G signal, completely disappear from my phone. I could still talk on the call so the genersal signal for making a call was still there, however, it was not a 4G or 3G one.

After the call ended, I watched my phone, slowly drop to GPRS, and then to 'E' and then back up to 3G and then finally, to 4G.

Is this normal?  I was under the impression that it is still possible to browse the web whilst on a call (if you want to look somethig up) however, in the scenariio above, this would have been impossible as all my service had disappeared (apart from the service which allows the actual phone call).

Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
3G

And @DinoF ?

....well, in my first test - my signal vanished completely, however, in my second test, it dropped to 3G!

Message 21 of 47

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Since upgrading to iPhone 6 and losing the ability to turn off 3G and drop to 2G I'm dropping calls more than hanging onto them, it's becoming an absolute joke.

Yes the phones great for 4G web surfing, emails etc, but as a phone I just cannot rely on it for phone calls.

I get messages saying you have voice mails and the phone has not even rung.

3G is worthless in my area and that's why I only turned on 3G when in a good area.

Now I'm stuck with 4G/3G on the iPhone 6 and dropped calls every single day.

I need an option to select 2G when I'm in a poor reception area, and there are a lot of them.

I'm giving up on iPhone and O2 and will try and find something that does off 2G as a fall back.

Message 22 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Until O2 change their carrier file to allow the 3G toggle many are indeed stuck. 😔
Message 23 of 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
O2 knows best about this, so until they realise their mistake everyone is stuck with it 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 47

jonsie
  • 93218 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 25 of 47

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well tonight O2 tell me the reason for dropped calls on the iPhone 6 is because its holding onto a 3G signal when it should be letting go and switching to 2G, so it's Apples fault, hahaha.

Yep they say the iPhone 6 does not need a 2G toggle if its working correctly, it should switch to 2G when its unstable on 3G which they say its clearly not judging by the complaints.

So I then asked can you not just push out the carrier setting with the Enable4GByDefault switched off, and as if by magic the 2G toggle will appear.

Reply - Sorry Sir that's not possible on the iPhone 6, what I just told you that's all it needs.

I give up with them, Jailbreak is the only option due to them having their heads up their backsides.

Message 26 of 47

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
3g should be perfectly fine for calls?
Message 27 of 47

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
3g should be perfectly fine for calls?

Fringe coverage areas can be a problem if the phone doesn't react fast enough to the 3g/2g switch.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 47

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Ahh, thanks for the clear up.
Message 29 of 47

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's the issue at home and where I do most of my work they are both fringe areas and the phone hangs onto a very weak 3G signal, but this means constant dropped calls.

O2 said but your area shows good 3G, so I said check my calls list then and see how many dropped calls, ring backs they see on my account.

They agreed and said it should improve in time, well I have been up to this Septemeber when I upgraded to the iPhone 6 always switched 3G off when at home and at work and the calls were never a problem.

Now however Its almost impossible to hold a conversation with someone before the call drops, then trying ringing me back, I try ringing them back so neither of us get through, it's driving me nuts.

Message 30 of 47