Did you mean: 

Signal Dropping every time I make a Call

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Quick question.....

I have noticed, that on my iPhone 6, whenever I make a normal phone call, my 4G signal (or 3G) will completely vanish? Smiley Frustrated

As an example, yesterday, I was in area of 4G and my phone had 5 full bars/spots/dots (!!). I then made a phone call, and subsequently watched my 4G signal, completely disappear from my phone. I could still talk on the call so the genersal signal for making a call was still there, however, it was not a 4G or 3G one.

After the call ended, I watched my phone, slowly drop to GPRS, and then to 'E' and then back up to 3G and then finally, to 4G.

Is this normal?  I was under the impression that it is still possible to browse the web whilst on a call (if you want to look somethig up) however, in the scenariio above, this would have been impossible as all my service had disappeared (apart from the service which allows the actual phone call).

Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We've been telling them for 12 months or so since they changed it......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 47

Steve3948
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well today after 3 dropped calls on the trot, I can now say I have 2G enabled Yipeeeee, 4 dots now compared to 1 dot, now lets see how many dropped calls I get.

I did not want to do it, but after talking to so called guru's who know jack and tell you its not possible with iPhone 6, well jog on.

Message 32 of 47

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Steve3948 wrote:

I did not want to do it, but after talking to so called guru's who know jack and tell you its not possible with iPhone 6, well jog on.

Couldn't agree more...jog on indeed.... Love it...LOLLOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 47

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The word Guru is bandied about these days with little meaning. If these people are gurus then some on here must be demigods.

Message 34 of 47

Deag
Level 9: Fired up
  • 134 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 13 Solutions
In summary 4G currently doesn't carry calls so phone switches to 3G, 3 Green can carry calls and do data at the same time. 2G ( gprs or E) can't do calls and data simulationsly.
Message 35 of 47

Steve3948
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

There was a carrier update to 18.1, still no 3G toggle

Message 36 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here Steve3948 !

I updated the Carrier file and swiftly looked in my settings.

Thank heavens for CC Settings. 😉
Message 37 of 47

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well after reading on the O2 site regarding the 2G switch, it gives instruction telling you to switch off the 4G toggle switch and you will now be in 2G mode, when you want a faster service switch the toggle back on.

So after being 100% satisfied with the jailbreak giving me 2G, 3G, 4G toggles and selecting 2G toggle and getting 4 bars signal strength, I decided to update to 8.2 and try this so called method.

So I now have 8.2 no jailbreak and switch off the 4G toggle switch, now I have 1 bar signal strength, and this is supposed to be 2G, somehow I don't believe them, I had 4 bars on 2G with jailbreak.

So that's it back to the dropped calls until I can get another jailbreak on 8.2, gutted and annoyed that O2 fob off users with this mess, yet android users get it back.

Message 38 of 47

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

***UPDATE***

I have now switched off Enable 4G on my iPhone 6, which O2 say will drop back to 2G, well at first I thought no this is not the case because the signal was still poor, I had no 3G symbol so was it really now 2G I wonder.

Well after 15 minutes I noticed that I had 3 Bars so maybe it was now on 2G, this is with IOS 8.2, so maybe that's it the problem is solved.

Before switching off 4G dropped it back to 3G which in my fringe area was no good for voice at all, with more dropped calls than stable calls, hence the reason to jailbreak just to get the 2G option.

I will see how this goes over the next few days, if the calls are stable then maybe things are fixed and you can choose 4G or 2G and forget 3G.

Message 39 of 47

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Steve3948 ,

Sorry to hear that that your signal is a little unreliable at the moment, let us know how you get no after a few days and if you're still in trouble, we can look into what can be done

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 40 of 47