Did you mean: 

Signal Dropping every time I make a Call

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Quick question.....

I have noticed, that on my iPhone 6, whenever I make a normal phone call, my 4G signal (or 3G) will completely vanish? Smiley Frustrated

As an example, yesterday, I was in area of 4G and my phone had 5 full bars/spots/dots (!!). I then made a phone call, and subsequently watched my 4G signal, completely disappear from my phone. I could still talk on the call so the genersal signal for making a call was still there, however, it was not a 4G or 3G one.

After the call ended, I watched my phone, slowly drop to GPRS, and then to 'E' and then back up to 3G and then finally, to 4G.

Is this normal?  I was under the impression that it is still possible to browse the web whilst on a call (if you want to look somethig up) however, in the scenariio above, this would have been impossible as all my service had disappeared (apart from the service which allows the actual phone call).

Smiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Steve3948
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well no its not better in fact its exactly the same, so much for O2 saying on the web site that turning off the toggle for 4G drops you to 2G, after giving it the day it latches to 3G even with the 4G toggle off, so its still so say going for the stronger signal, but in my fringe area that's no good, 2G 100% ok for calls, 3G/4G absolutely hopeless, calls dropping and some straight to voice mail.

All it needs is the carrier setting for "enable4Gdefault" set to off and then you get the 2g,3G,4G toggles.

Roll on jailbreak for 8.2

Message 41 of 47

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Steve,

What general area are you situated in? I'll see if I can find any useful info on network issues/improvements there. If not right now, I shall update you as soon as there is any information.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 42 of 47

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Toby, you will not be able to find anything, it's pure and simple that O2 refuse to give the option to have the 2G toggle switch, it only takes one small adjustment in the carrier settings. Why they have given it back to Android users and not iPhone users is beyond me.

I live and work in an area that's on the fringe for 3G/4G, so it's a must that I can lock onto to 2G to get stable phone calls.

I have for the last few months been enjoying that through Jailbreak and turn off the switch "Enable4GByDefault" which gives you all the options of switching to 2G, 3G or 4G, so I have mine on 2G for 90% of the time.

I have a 2nd iPhone 5 and the settings are available on that so why an iPhone 6 user should be penalised is beyond me.

Like a fool I updated to 8.2 after reading on the O2 web site that turning off 4G dropped you back to 2G, which is total rubbish, it drops back to 3G even if the fringe signal is useless.

I'm now checking hourly to see if the jailbreak for 8.2 is available so I can start using my iPhone as phone like before.

Message 43 of 47

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Steve,

Can you please provide a link to where it says that dropping to 2G will happen? If its not clear or inaccurate, I'll talk to the team about getting it sorted out.

Get involved:

Message 44 of 47

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Toby,

Here is the link,

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices#/apple/iphone-6-ios-8/network-mode/usecase/switching-to-...

If only this was true !!!!!!

I am now stuck with 3G so I will see how many dropped calls I get, the signal does seem better since I last tried in September, so maybe it will be better, hope so, if not it's back to jailbreak when available.

Message 45 of 47

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Thanks Steve,

I shall let the rest of the team know about this.

Get involved:

Message 46 of 47

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well this O2 service is getting to a stage where I'm inclined to say its not acceptable, I'm sat here and my iPhone 6 is giving a signal of -110dbm, if you read up on this that's as good as no signal. If someone called me now it would be either a dropped call or go straight to voice.

There is a mast very near within a couple of miles, but either its being blocked out by something or it's overloaded.

As posted before 2G is absolutely fine, I have a second phone iPhone 5 with the 2G toggle which gives -60dbm or 5 bars if you like, perfect never drops a call.

I don't get what the big deal is not letting those that want the 2G toggle have it, only a very small carrier setting.

After sticking with Cellnet then O2 this could be my last year with them, for what I pay each month this is a backward step in quality of service.

Message 47 of 47