cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Carrier update 24.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All

I had a prompt to install new carrier settings at the weekend. My version is now O2 24.1. I have since noticed that it has removed the option to select 4G/3G/2G and replaced it with the old enable 4G toggle. I am really annoyed as I live in a marginal 3G area so often lock my phone to 2G when at home.

I hope this is reversed in a future update.

Graham.
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Justifies someone's job I guess......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 59

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@DinoF wrote:

Does the Carrier update actually improve anything though? If not, what is the point of all these carrier updates anyway??

Smiley Indifferent

It makes people feel good....

...and do YOU feel good?!

Dance

Message 32 of 59

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@DinoF wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

@DinoF wrote:

Does the Carrier update actually improve anything though? If not, what is the point of all these carrier updates anyway??

Smiley Indifferent

It makes people feel good....

...and do YOU feel good?!

Dance

Unbelievably so.....I have a Samsung wink

Message 33 of 59

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I feel on top of the world here in Sunny Yorkshire lol

however to answer the question, carrier updates allow the network to prioritise what network the phone uses. 

So could mean 4g is priority of 3G. But calls go to 2G and so on

So in carrier 24.0 

I would makes calls and it would either drop to 3 or 2g. When the call ended it would jump back to 4G if there was a network. 

Now on on Carrier Update 24.1. If I make the same call. It still goes back to 2G or 3G. But on ending the call it no longer goes back to 4G straight away. It can take 1-5 mins to revert back to 4G. 

So I'm not sure what's happened in Carrier Update 24.1. But to me it's worse

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 34 of 59

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
....well whatever the update has "updated", the O2 network is STILL naff Rolleys Everywhere I go (especially at London Bridge train station), 3G speeds is 5 times faster than 4G speed. When my iPhone 6 is connected to the 4G network, I typically get 1-3 bars of network coverage. HOWEVER, when I then manually switch over to 3G, I pretty much always get a full 5 bars of network coverage - webpages and apps load almost instantly as opposed to when on 4G, I have to sit waiting for 2-3 minutes for things to load. UTTERLY USELESS - "updates" shmupdates.............. Bang
Message 35 of 59

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Maybe it's just a coincidence but my signal has been better since the carrier update and I get 4G a lot more.

Message 36 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had

I have managed to replicate your issue here and have raised a case to investigate this. Ref: INC000000630814. I do not know why this feature has been removed from the iPhone 6s and not other models. It may be a feature that the Network team has implemented by design. But we have not had any internal communications this was going to be implemented. Which is why I’ve raised the case to find out exactly if this is meant or not. You will receive contact from a member of our case management team within five working days with an update.

I would assume it to be a mistake on our part. Having the 2G toggle is sometimes crucial for our diagnostics during fault finds. For it to be removed like this is rather strange.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and I hope we’re able to get to the bottom of this for you soon.
Message 37 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had a reply...

"I have managed to replicate your issue here and have raised a case to investigate this. Ref: INC000000630814. I do not know why this feature has been removed from the iPhone 6s and not other models. It may be a feature that the Network team has implemented by design. But we have not had any internal communications this was going to be implemented. Which is why I’ve raised the case to find out exactly if this is meant or not. You will receive contact from a member of our case management team within five working days with an update."

I would assume it to be a mistake on our part. Having the 2G toggle is sometimes crucial for our diagnostics during fault finds. For it to be removed like this is rather strange.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and I hope we’re able to get to the bottom of this for you soon.
Message 38 of 59

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Yeah, they make quite a few "mistakes" these days !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 39 of 59

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Failure to manage outsourced contracts.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 40 of 59