Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing e mails

Valerie
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
My iPad picks up my hotmail account emails with no problem .... However it often deletes some of them for no reason ! I don't keep many, just ones which need replying to or keeping for a while just a handful, and I empty the trash can regularly, so why does it just keep deleting my mails ... Some are from companies I have ordered goods from and need to keep until I receive goods, but they just disappear
Val
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Is there an option on your iPad as to how long your emails will be kept before deleting? This is different to the sync option. Or if you log into your hotmail account from a computer then you can alter the settings there.

Message 11 of 27

Valerie
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
No option on iPad, and checking hotmail settings on computer, none there either ... They don't delete from hotmail, just disappear from iPad and this has only been the last couple of months or so ?

Message 12 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

On the email section, can you please tell me what options you have?

Also, do you sync your emails on iCloud?

Have you tried deleting the email account on your iPad and then adding it back on?

(don't worry it will not delete you emails)

When you first add your email account you get more options about what to sync on your iPad. 

Message 13 of 27

Valerie
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

There are various options, but there is one for e-mail accounts and it shows me just the one I have with them ...

On 'forwarding' it just says I have can them sent to another account - well I only have one so that's no use ... and dont want another one !

Also says I can upgrade to an accouont with no adverts ! Yes, well dont want one I have to pay for ... gone to italics and I have no idea why !!!

No sync option, but one on iphone and ipad which is set to 3 months

I don't use icloud, have no reason to and can't see why I would need to use that whatever it is .... only me at home with husband who doesn't ever use a computer, both retired now ...

It is easier if I go to MSN.co.uk  on phone or ipad,via Apple's safari, because I have instant access to all my e-mails there ....

It hasn't always been like this ..... and I am not the only one having problems, so will just ignore the app and go direct ....

Thanks anyway slight_smile

Val

Message 14 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hi Valerie.

I will try to explain everything the best that I can and to the best of my knowledge.  However I am not an expert so I hope that if I say something wrong then another member will correct me.

iCloud is a back up that Apple users can turn on so if your iPhone, iPad, etc ever got lost, you could easily get all of your contacts, photos, apps, etc back.  It is also handy for when you need to restore your phone, as long as you have done an iCloud back up then you can easily do the restore on your phone without having to plug it in.  Contacts are not saved to your sim from your iPhone so when you edit or add new contacts, they are only saved on the phone (unless you choose the option to sync them to your computer when you plug it in).

I think the best option for you to do is to delete your email account on both devices and then re-add them again.  I know it sounds like a drastic option but it isn't.  In the past I used to do it regularly as my emails on my iPhone did not sync with my hotmail account properly and therefore I had emails on my hotmail account which I had deleted from my phone.  However, since the new update it has worked great to sync all of my emails.

That is another thought - is your software up to date on your phone? What version are you using? All updates should be done ASAP as small changes make a big difference.

Please let me know how you get on Valerie.

Message 15 of 27

Valerie
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi, I don't need icloud then as I have a paper list of all my contacts etc and all photos are on my camera and also on the computer ...

I am usually quite savvy regarding computers etc, but this has me stumped ! Plus I can't remember how I got iphone then ipad to get my hotmail account .... there was already an app installed on both, 'Mail' and just clicked that, it asked was it a hotmail account, clicked yes, then it just asked for my login details and there it was .... didn't have to do anything else

I get notifications on both when there are updates and I always do them immediately ...

I am going off out very soon, so might delete the account tomorrow .... if it all disappears and I can't get it back ... I will come back here Crazy

Val

Message 16 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Apologies I was not clear in my last post.

I do not mean uninstall the Mail app ( I don't think that is even possible anyway).

If you go to your settings and mail-contacts-calendar section, at the top there should be the mail section and your email account.  If you click on it there should be a button to delete account.  Once deleted you should do a reset (home button and top button), although this step is not necessary.  Since you have deleted your account there should be no email accounts on your phone so if you click on the Mail app icon, it should ask you to add one.

Message 17 of 27

Valerie
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Ok, have deleted, then set up,again on both iPhone and iPad .... But there are no sync options on their now !! So will see what happens over next few days
Many thanks :)!
Valerie
Message 18 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
I use hotmail and the options I have are- mail, contact, calendar and reminder. All of them are turned on for me. I think the options are the same for all email accounts. Do you have those options turned on?
Message 19 of 27

Valerie
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Do you mean when I look at hotmail on the computer or iPhone/iPad ?
Val
Message 20 of 27