cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for using emoticons in my text messages!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have only recently been using emoticons in messages to my partner, and just found out from my monthly bill being charged 33p for the priviledge! My partner is on Vodafone contract, no charge on hers, so why are O2? Actually I thought there was some bad publicity recently for phone companies charging for this, and it was gong to be stopped.Smiley Mad  

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Have a look at this help thread @Anonymous It gives you all the info you need..

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

This is the part that will explain more..

Adding an emoticon by itself won’t, in many cases, force the message into MMS format, but, what it will do, is eat up your character count.

A simple smiley face or wink will use 90 characters.

With this in mind it is easy to see how just by adding 3 emoticons actually reduces your character count to only 210 letters (that’s not much!)

You can avoid this by inserting a smiley using keyboard characters rather than hitting the emoticon key and choosing a picture. A smile can be written as : ) or a wink as ; ) 

On some phones you will find 2 versions of emoticons (pretty ones and basic ones).

The basic ones will use less characters but you should always keep your eye on character count and auto MMS conversion.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

It's a bit of a grey area, as some emoticons on certain phones aren't charged, but others are. O2 considers them an MMS, and charges. To be honest, I don't know which ones aren't chargeable on which phones, as I don't use them, so someone else is going to have to clarify that for you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Have a look at this help thread @Anonymous It gives you all the info you need..

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

This is the part that will explain more..

Adding an emoticon by itself won’t, in many cases, force the message into MMS format, but, what it will do, is eat up your character count.

A simple smiley face or wink will use 90 characters.

With this in mind it is easy to see how just by adding 3 emoticons actually reduces your character count to only 210 letters (that’s not much!)

You can avoid this by inserting a smiley using keyboard characters rather than hitting the emoticon key and choosing a picture. A smile can be written as : ) or a wink as ; ) 

On some phones you will find 2 versions of emoticons (pretty ones and basic ones).

The basic ones will use less characters but you should always keep your eye on character count and auto MMS conversion.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Most modern Android smartphones give you a warning when converting to mms if you tick the appropriate box in message settings. 

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Keep it below 480 characters per text and you won't have a problem.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

if you are both on android and have each others gmail address then use hangouts it sends message's via date either wifi or 3/4g 

you can also use hangouts as a std sms/mms app aswell 

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was charged for a 'picture' when I sent this text

Thank you for you good wishes. Followed by a smily face emoticon.

That is nowhere near 450 characters but I was still charged 33p!!!!!

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It could have been depending on the text input method set on your phone.
You need to be careful with character count always if using smilies.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8