cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android question - enhanced SMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just swapped from iOS to Android (booooo)

I keep being asked to insert my number for enhanced SMS (send receipts, see when I'm typing etc) It says it will use data where necessary.
I didn't think SMS were capable of using data and instead sent as an MMS..

So my questions

Do these enhanced SMS cost?

Do they use data/much data? (May not be on unlimited data for much longer)
Can I use emoticons and they not be sent as MMS?
Do these enhanced SMS only.work with others who have Android or does it show up on iOS too?

Actually come to think of it, without this enhanced thing switched on, can I send emoticons? (On iOS I always had send as MMS switched off so I wouldn't get charged for anything mistakenly sent)

I have looked on the net but it's all very vague.

Cheers

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
The enhanced messages are brilliant imo, use very little data, but open the door to much better messaging use. Pictures are now hi Res and free from charge (excluding data use if on path) and you can share so much more.
Think of it more as iMessage for Android with a few additions.
Now, for it to truly work as intended BOTH PARTIES must be using the enhanced messaging service or it will default to MMS sending if not a text only message. I know this because I can tell you 3 of my contacts are using enhanced, the rest not. So I only get the full features with those 3.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
The enhanced messages are brilliant imo, use very little data, but open the door to much better messaging use. Pictures are now hi Res and free from charge (excluding data use if on path) and you can share so much more.
Think of it more as iMessage for Android with a few additions.
Now, for it to truly work as intended BOTH PARTIES must be using the enhanced messaging service or it will default to MMS sending if not a text only message. I know this because I can tell you 3 of my contacts are using enhanced, the rest not. So I only get the full features with those 3.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @viridis.
Is there anyway to tell who has or hasn't got enhanced messages? Is there a way to turn off MMS messaging?
I don't want to be lumbered with a bill for MMS messages.
Cheers again!
Message 3 of 5

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I believe you can remove MMS from the APN so it won't ever send them, but I'm not 100% on that
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Erm ok I'll have a goose! And thank you again.
Message 5 of 5