cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G on my S4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, a 4G tarrif and am in a 4G area. However, I have no 4G signal and on my S4 I have no option to select 4G. Am I missing something?

Kam

Message 1 of 117
116 REPLIES 116

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm stuck with a Vodafone firmware and still struggling with enabling the 4G on O2 network. To clarify further, I got the phone from Vodafone and have been using on O2 3G plans previously without any problems. Now, when I connected to Kies it says the firmware is latest.

Any suggestion guys on how to switch to O2 firmware or any other workarounds? I tried the Battery Monitor app and that doesn't work.vod_firmware.jpg

Message 81 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

It appears that there is new Vodafone firmware arriving as it's appeared on SamMobile:

Added: 2013-09-02 

Model:GT-I9505

Version: Android 4.2.2

Changelist: 1220396

Build date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:21:27 +0000

Product Code: VOD

PDA: I9505XXUDMGG

CSC: I9505VFGDMG3

MODEM: I9505XXUDMGG

Which may well allow you to get 4G on O2. 

You could flash different firmware but that would invalidate your warranty should you have to return and not be able to flash back Vodaphone firmware. There is also the possiblity of bricking your phone. More info can be found over at XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2339341 

Personally I would wait for this firmware to see what happens.

Message 82 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the bedroom....

sgs419.jpg

On the firmware [(PDA:MH8 / PHONE:MH8 / CSC:MHA (BTU)] that came yesterday.

Probably only a few people in London using 4G at that time but worth boasting about. slight_smile

Message 83 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cosimo, thanks for the prompt response. You are right, there is a firmware update that got pushed out now but kies is struggling to roll it out. I got timed out 4 times.

Are you sure this firmware update will solve the problem? I'll try it out again tonight.
Message 84 of 117

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi BK1111,

Did you problem arise as soon as you converted to 4G? Or was it a little while afterwards?

Cheers, Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 85 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BK1111,

Kies is awful, I never use it, slow and painful pile of rubbish

Go here..... (you need to register in order to download the firmware)

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=GT-I9505&pcode=BTU#firmware

Download latest firmware from September, then download odin 3.04, use odin to flash latest firmware, it really is easy, if your not sure just google "how to flash firmware with odin", it's just a few clicks and it's done.

Message 86 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had the same issue whenever i spoke to O2 customer services did not have a clue and kept giving me pointless advice like try the 4g setup wizrd just didnt listen or know what was going on. 

Anyway checked Kies again today got the update for my S4 finally got 4G, install went quite smooth in Kies, never normally use it though annoying program. 

Message 87 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have got I9505XXUDMGG update and the problem still persists.

So possibly flashing the firmware to o2 specific one is the only solution as advised by marty
Message 88 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

BK1111

The firmware I linked you to is the latest UK stock s4 btu ROM, not the o2 branded firmware

I flashed my phone with the UK btu ROM and the network setting appeared for lte

Message 89 of 117

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add after installing the lastest firmware with Kies i had to reboot my device manually once more for the LTE/4G option to show up(was already selected by default) and for my phone to connect to 4G.

This is going to be a ballache for the less tech savy.

Message 90 of 117