Did you mean: 

O2 Network Issues - 6th December 2018

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Good morning all, 

We are aware our customers are unable to use data this morning.

Our technical teams are working on the issue with high priority. We are really sorry and working as hard and as fast as we can to fix this.

Please keep an eye on our status checker: http://o2.uk/ServiceStatus 

Latest Update:

Our 3G and 4G data services are performing as normal. Our technical teams are continuing to monitor service performance closely. We will be updating our customers later today on how we will make yesterday’s data service issue up to them and we’d once again like to thank our customers for their patience. 

A small proportion of customers have reported issues sending text messages. We can see that the vast majority are being sent and received successfully and our technical teams are investigating. Our 3G and 4G data services are performing as normal.

We are finalising how we make it up to our customers and will be contacting them later today about this. 

The Facebook mention around us giving out £75 compensation isn't correct and didn't come from us.

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 715
714 REPLIES 714

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Anonymous  👍. I bet o2 was in the process of deactivating connections remotely on the masts to 3 and. 4G.

possible done this remotely but had to wait for something to come on line.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 441 of 715

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darrengf wrote:

@Anonymous  👍. I bet o2 was in the process of deactivating connections remotely on the masts to 3 and. 4G.

possible done this remotely but had to wait for something to come on line.

Why does that seem the most plausible reason & something I actually believe to have happened? 

Message 442 of 715

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

Slight digression but if some of you remember the outage in 2012 (search: o2 outage 2012), you'll find some interesting reading about the outcome regarding compensation.

In particular, this one about brand image is quite short but interesting to read: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/consumer/articles-reports/2012/07/16/how-o2-outage-hit-brand

I missed this post earlier.. does that mean it was Ericsson responsible back then too?

Message 443 of 715

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Anonymous Yes I can’t think of anything else.

i know all the networks can remotely control masts and even some of the masts now for moving the antennas about for when there is more of a demand from one mast to the other for example. 

First thing o2 will have done is get the software working to control the masts and how you connect to them. 

look at when you go abroad, even though the network may have 4G, the network will only allow you to access 2 and 3G. It’s all clever stuff. 

Today i I could see 3 and 4G, but the phone when trying to connect refused and stayed happy on 2G. Which is why some people could still make calls and sms.  They may have been connected to 2G

I know that when you roam over seas,  for example your phone will always try to connect to the first signal it sees and then asks the foreign network is a o2 customer allow to connect. If there is a tick in the box, then the phone commects.

Howevee this is where the fun happens.  Say the phone sees the 4G network first, when the phone tries to connect and the foreign network says no because of o2 wishes, the phone thinks that networks is then banned for both 3G and 2G.  So phone doesn’t try again on that network and looks for an alternate. If the phone can’t connect to any network, it just keeps trying and askin each foreign network it never gives up. 

It may be when you then get to the countryside where only 2G and 3G may exsist that all of a sudden the phone connects.

Also each sim are coded with preferred roaming networks. So even though you say connect to one, the phone and sim never stop looking and even talking to the preferred networks in the back ground. Which is why you see the phone move from network to network or stay connected to only one network overseas.

same thing happenes in the uk.  Even though you have a o2 sim, for emergency calls your sim regardless of network can and will connect to any available network. It’s a legal requirement in EU.

the issue today was that the sim can see the o2 networks just it wasn’t aloud to connect, its was being refused. so if there was 4G signal and the sim couldn’t connect, it doesn’t always assume it can connect to 3G and 2G as well, which then shows no signal. So the phone then just keeps looking and hoping it can connect.  

Its called a handshake, but today the sim was holding its hand out, but o2 didn’t hold its hand out to shake back 😳

if you see tweets from three and o2, they always tell customers to switch of 4G when roaming and connecting to a foreign network if you have problems. again this is why o2 say can you try connecting to a 3G or 2G band and switching off 4G.

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 444 of 715

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@jonsie  Yes I have 2G and 3G now.

the demand on 3G will be immense and cause the cells to then stop breathing, which will the cause data to stop again. Only one good thing is that is late now so the demand won’t be as huge as say 4PM

Message 446 of 715

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
The will be another spike at around 2am when IOT device polling kicks in and then again at start of service for public services..

So will see what happens...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 447 of 715

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

Glad I had to get away from here earlier, as life had to come first... 

Just worked out how much a days credit for my father who is on could get on tesco mobile, and it worked at £0.05p. 

I have just read through the posts i missed, and people need to get a grip and understand that they could only get at most £0.45 in credit, and they have to prove they had losses, and provide reciepts etc.... 

Also it will be interesting to see how many people come back, saying i cancelled my dd in anger and now have no service and o2 want £15 to reconnect.. or mr debt collector has sent me a letter.. 

Message 448 of 715

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@madasaf1sh I would agree. People should not be cancelling dd. Worst thing they can do.

@Anonymoussome info from a great person on Twitter who is a top guy and very clever.

but it matches mainly to what I said. And I didn’t see it first lol

CF11D234-B5DA-46F3-A9E0-A83B1AE19F55.jpeg

9EFB1C4F-D872-4E07-BF2C-B7EB269C2837.jpeg

588875A2-F10C-4419-A29D-F9C9CCEC0FC9.jpeg

Message 449 of 715

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Its going to take some time tonight to bring the backhauls back on line, and probably a cycle of the switching infrastructure at each cell site to be able to offer 4G fully...
Message 450 of 715