Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone X Megathread

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

O2 will offer Apple’s latest products starting on 22nd September 2017, including the new generation iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Customers will be able to pre-order iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus beginning 15th September at www.o2.co.uk/iphone, in store, voice and online, with iPhone X pre-order beginning Friday 27th October

iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X
bau-35253-iphone-8-product-build-gold-sku-header-master-120917.png
bau-35251-iphone-8-plus-space-grey-sku-header-master-130917.png
iphone-x-space-grey-sku-header.png

Questions?
We expect there will be many questions ranging from student discount, to unlocking, to yearly upgrades and everything in-between. See our extensive Q&A section immediately under this post, and let us know if there's anything missing you think we should mention there.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,685
1,684 REPLIES 1,684

Naywa01
Level 3: Thinker
  • 46 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So I went for the iPhone X 256GB Space Grey ordered at 11.40 on the 27th, for click&collect on a Refresh upgrade and nothing from O2 other than the order confirmation, paying a bit upfront and over £70 a month. I just hope O2 truly are applying 'first come/first served', but it doesn't seem to be the case judging by the messages on here.

I also cannot get through to my local O2 store by phone (how ironic!), live chat now seems to have gone into meltdown (and is usually just a placebo anyway, again based on experience and other users messages), the last time I spoke to CS they couldn't really tell me anything over and above the estimated 4+ weeks etc. listed on the O2 site.

At an educated guess it would seem new customers and those not on refresh may be getting priority. Despite all the usual guff about 'it depends what colour/capacity you ordered' - at the end of the day there are four combinations (silver/grey in 64 or silver/grey in 256) - this doesn't account for the seemingly random distribution of someone ordering on the 29th receiving the phone ahead of someone pre-ordering the same model on the morning of the 27th?

It is strongly implied that pre-ordering does give you some element of priority ('reserve yours now' etc). So while there may well be nothing that explicitly states you will receive it on, or as close as possible, to launch day, but if this randomness is correct, doesn't it make a mockery of the concept of pre-ordering?

Being cynical, it could be argued this is simply a means to ensure a nice order intake/revenue boost (by capturing customers interest and orders now, while collecting the deposits), in combination with locking users into a constant 'refresh' cycle thereby also guaranteeing long term recurring revenues.

You can imagine some kind of internal stock allocation flow chart or scoring; Is new customer (yes/no), Is on a high monthly tariff (yes/no), has other devices locked into O2 (yes/no), buy insurance from O2 (yes/no), is ordering the lowest net cost variant of device (yes/no - I'd guess the lower cost to O2 the better on this one) etc etc. So maybe the apparent randomness, might actually not be so random after all - I've seen more than one post saying they set up a new account and received devices almost immediately, despite being told on the old account it would be 'weeks'.

Now just to keep those who seem happy to just be led along (i.e. "don't blame O2" etc), as others have said it is not a case of feeling "entitled" to the device itself and neither am I getting "stressed". We all know it is in high demand and the stories about production capacity are well documented.

What really grates is the apparent ambivalence towards customers (yes, some of who are muti-year loyalists) when they are spending £1000+ on a product; could you imagine if you ordered a new car, expensive TV or similar and the shop took your money, then ignored you and then (at best) is vague or (at worst) downright dishonest about delivery schedules. One amazing aspect of this is that I pretty much had the same experience last year with my 7+ 256GB order, yet O2 either don't learn from their mistakes or just don't care (sadly I suspect the latter). If I treated customers I deal with like this, I doubt I would be in my job for very long.

So, fair enough, Apple haven't a) made enough in time for launch and b) don't provide O2 with shipment details/planning (which is difficult to believe for a multi-billion dollar international company in the tenth year of production of a highly sought after device central to driving revenue/earnings); however if that is the case then be honest and just say you don't know. O2 are keen to point customers towards "tracking" their order, which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard; all it says it "in progress" until the device is literally out for delivery, at which point for click&collect it will say "complete" even if you haven't collected the device.

In closing it would be really great if O2 cared enough to both learn from this customer feedback (which many companies value and actively seek) and actually respond to their customer concerns either in this forum (without posting meaningless platitudes; see above) - which largely seems unmoderated - or by seeking to contact the customer who is posting. The 'reward your patience' scheme is all very well, but essentially seeks to partially excuse the awful communication, again highlighted by its prominence in any customer facing communication.

So I look forward to the complete wall of silence, until one day in the next "more than 4 weeks" I by chance notice that my tariff has been changed and maybe - just maybe - I'll get a call or text from my nominated store telling me my phone is ready to collect. Needless to say I will not be holding my breath.

Message 991 of 1,685

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Naywa01 ....no, O2 will not learn because they know that however badly they treat customers, they still return........just as you admit you have returned after being treated with disdain last year.

Until O2's customers realise there are good, customer-focused providers out there then O2 will carry on as is.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 992 of 1,685

Naywa01
  • 46 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Just on the subject of encouraging pre-orders and implying it will help get your hands on one quicker:

Capture.PNG

Message 993 of 1,685

Naywa01
  • 46 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

You heard it here first folks, live chat reliably informed me that O2 have just received new stock and that I will receive confirmation in the next 24 hours. When I asked if that is confirmation that my order has shipped or just that stock has been refreshed, I was told that it will be confirmation of my order shipping

[personalconversations removed. Please read the guidelines]

Message 994 of 1,685

mrsbaker1
  • 210 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Naywa01 

I hope that is true for you but not to burst your bubble...O2 chat has said this multiple times for it to be false. 

Just go go back into live chat and ask the exact same questions and see what is said. Fingers crossed it’s the same response. 

Message 995 of 1,685

NathanKenneford
  • 82 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Naywa01 what time did you order?
Message 996 of 1,685

Naywa01
  • 46 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
11.40am on the 27th, Space Grey 256GB
Message 997 of 1,685

Naywa01
  • 46 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Yep, I took it with a whole sack of salt, but you never know!
Message 998 of 1,685

NathanKenneford
  • 82 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Naywa01 let me know how it goes. I ordered the exact same on the 27th at 9am...
Message 999 of 1,685

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got confirmation mine is in store ready for collection tomorrow. Ordered at approx 9am on 27th, silver 256gb on O2 Refresh. Order status on “my orders” now showing complete
Message 1000 of 1,685