Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Poor Signal

Trees
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Over the past 18-24 months my o2 mobile data and calling signal has been nothing less than appalling both inside and outside. It used to be great inside and out, something has definitely happened in the area. My other half has a Tesco mobile who I believe also use o2 network and he has had the exact same issues. We’re lucky to get 3g and on the occasions phone does 4g or 5g nothing actually loads or works. 

Have tried all troubleshooting and nothing helps and reporting multiple times (can’t find that option now) and all I get back is they don’t have any mast issues. Last time the person I spoke to alluded ti having more people using the network now (assume since Virgin can on board) so the increased traffic may be affecting signal. 

We’re in the suburbs of a large city (Newcastle Upon Tyne) so I would never expect to have an issue, especially as everything worked perfectly until the past year or so. So so frustrating, especially for elderly lone parents in the area who relies on contacting us and in case of accidents. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23467 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3744 Solutions

@Trees If there are signal issues in your area use WiFi calling, which needs to be enabled by both you and O2:

Wifi and 4G Calling explained | O2

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

japitts
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 125 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Trees wrote:

having more people using the network now (assume since Virgin can on board) so the increased traffic may be affecting signal.

Increased traffic wouldn't affect coverage levels. It would certainly affect mobile data speeds, and in extreme cases voice call reliability. But the indicated coverage would not change.

O2's data service was performing relatively poorly in national benchmarking before several million Virgin Mobile users were migrated across.

Message 4 of 6

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@japitts wrote:

@Trees wrote:

having more people using the network now (assume since Virgin can on board) so the increased traffic may be affecting signal.

Increased traffic wouldn't affect coverage levels. It would certainly affect mobile data speeds, and in extreme cases voice call reliability. But the indicated coverage would not change.

O2's data service was performing relatively poorly in national benchmarking before several million Virgin Mobile users were migrated across.

I think @japitts that you have got two MNOs who regard themselves as telephone businesses and clearly target call quality ; and two MNOs who see themselves more as data companies.

O2 are certainly one of the two in the former category. 👍 

Message 5 of 6

japitts
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 125 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

The same MNO's who regularly perform well in data benchmarking also do so on voice.

Call quality is heavily influenced by the voice codecs used. I'm only aware of one MNO using wideband codecs on 2G, and it's not O2. The newer WB-AMR & EVS codecs are more prevalent on 4G.

O2 is traditionally more reliant on legacy RATs than other MNO's.

Message 6 of 6