Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung watch 4g... issue with making calls

ZoeC
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently purchased a Samsung galaxy watch 4g direct from Samsung to work alongside my Samsung galaxy S10.  As the watch is 4G enabled, I should be able to leave the house without my mobile phone and still send and receive calls and text messages via the watch. I was aware that in order to do this, I needed to take out a secondary plan linked to my current plan because the watch would need its own data and minutes so I contacted you on 202 to do this. 

I have made MULTIPLE calls, visited my local O2 store twice and used your online chat system but now seem to be stuck in a constant loop of nonsense! 

After my first call I received an esim and was advised that I needed to wait 24 hours for this to take effect. 

24 hours later, no service on the watch and the esim wasn't showing on my account.

My second call ended with me being advised that I needed to visit an O2 store. 

So during school rush hour (appreciate this is a stupid time but it's all the time I have mostly) I dragged my 2 children into town to my local O2 store and the very polite staff advised me that they couldn't do anything for me in store and i needed to speak to customer services on 202. 

My third, forth and fifth calls all ended with the advisors firstly advising me to go to an O2 store. Then cutting me off after I'd told them I had already been to a store and they had advised to me to contact 202. I'll be honest - no one seemed to know what I was talking about.

My sixth call ended with the advisor taking an interest and stating she would ring me back in the morning as her shift was ending. - Perfect! Someone's taking an interest in my issue and not cutting me off! Woo!

My seventh call ended after about 30 mins with me being cut off because I got extremely frustrated with the advisor... I was advised to go back to an O2 store! 

Sorry about that.....

So Sunday just gone I decided to pack up the kids, partner, iPad, phone, watch, laptop and dog to set up camp in my local store! I then had an O2 store advisor, access to your website, chat system and 202 customer services all at my finger tips! 

Again, the nice store assistants advised they couldn't do anything in store so this time I spoke to the store manager. He sat down with me and looked over my account while I rang 202. The manager advised that the esim I had previously received wasn't showing on my account and after waiting on hold for 45 mins the manager spoke to the advisor only to have the phone put down on him as well after 10-15mins. The manager said he was not very happy about this and said he was going to try something for me as he could see on my account the line had “gone dead” multiple times. He took another esim from the back of store (or wherever you get them from) and contacted the online chat system. After 20 mins I had the esim showing on my account and the watch was now showing signal bars and the O2 logo! 

PROGRESS!!!!

The manager stated that he hadn't done anything other than input the esim on the system but the chap on the chat system seemed to have got everything working for me. I'd just have to wait 24 hours for the calls to take effect on my watch. But any further issues he advised me to contact the chat service as they seemed to know a bit more about my issue. Fair enough.

Well, we are now Friday and still I have nothing working on the watch independently....

I've contacted the chat system only to be advised AGAIN that I need to go to an O2 store as there was nothing more he could do for me or I could contact the LIVE O2 chat service.

My frustration was only heightened when my partner also bought a 4G watch this week and was set up and making calls direct from his watch after only 2 1/2 hours! He's on Vodafone! (He was considering changing over to O2 as his contract is up in the next few months.) Up until now I've raved about how much better O2 is because I left Vodafone to come to you guys. I've don't know how many years I've been a loyal customer of yours now but i feel that my problem isn't being dealt with as such.

I have an esim

I have this showing on my account

I have signal bars on my watch when my mobile is switched off 

I have an O2 logo showing on the watch

(The last 2 indicate to me that the watch is receiving signal and is connected to the O2 network. Please advise if this is wrong.)

My problem is when I leave the house wearing only the watch and try to make a call the watch states "emergency calls only"

My question is

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET ME UP AND WORKING PLEASE?! Is there a manager, second line support contact number, advanced technical desk, ANYTHING! HECK I'd take a pamphlet at this stage! 

Someone to talk me through the processes or steps to check or take to get me working. Even if it involves wiping the data from the watch and starting again. I have no confidence in doing this without advice at this stage and risk losing the esim I battled so hard to get working and showing on my account.

Would it be possible to arrange a call back from an experienced advisor IN THIS FIELD that could sit on the call with me so if my esim is wiped they could reapply it again? 
Come on O2 help me out here!!
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@ZoeC 

You need to ensure that the phone is one and remote connection is enabled and connected to WiFi or 4g

Follow these excellent steps by @mi5

Samsung watch setup.
1. Contact O2 and get them to set up Data and WIFI calling on your Samsung mobile, it's free but needs to be set up to use the watch. You can then turn the switch on in setting under connections.

2. If you need an esim the only place to get it now is at an O2 store, it's free at the store.

3. If you already have an esim you won't be able to set up your watch just by going through the process on the Gear app, it'll set up the plan in principle on the phone and watch, but it won't connect to the network so don't waste your time. Delete the plan and go to an O2 store.

4. The only way you'll get the watch connected is by going to the O2 store, sitting with the sales person and have them set up the esim and the plan, it's £5 per month for 1gb which is more than enough data.

5. Most store sales people haven't a clue about setting up the Samsung watch 4g, so have them give you the esim, scan the QR code let your phone set up the plan and then have them go into their system as if your purchasing the watch directly from O2, at the bottom of their screen (this is at an O2 store) there is a box that says set up watch plan, when they press that, it'll allow them to set up a watch data plan, as if you've purchased the watch from O2.

6. At that point and after the salesperson puts in all the info from the esim they gave you into their system, it'll take about 10 min for the watch to connect, you'll then need to go into the connection settings on your watch, turn on auto for data, turn on data roaming and then go to the network search setting on the watch and let it the watch search for the network, it'll then register it and you're almost there.

7. Next go to your mobile and in settings, advanced, turn on the switch to use your mobile data on other devices, make sure when you turn it on, it shows your Samsung watch at the bottom, tap and another screen comes up showing the watch is connected to your phone.

8. Then reboot your watch and your mobile and you're done. Test it by leaving your phone in your home and take a walk, the watch should connect and show the 4g symbol and the mobile calling bars, if you try and make a call and it doesn't work or says connect to Bluetooth, go back to step 7, and reboot the phone to make sure it's found the device, i.e. your watch. It will also say at the bottom of the watch, standalone, means your using the watch on it's own.

9. You're done. Just remember you can only get your Samsung Watch 4g connected by getting it done in the O2 store.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@ZoeC 

You need to ensure that the phone is one and remote connection is enabled and connected to WiFi or 4g

Follow these excellent steps by @mi5

Samsung watch setup.
1. Contact O2 and get them to set up Data and WIFI calling on your Samsung mobile, it's free but needs to be set up to use the watch. You can then turn the switch on in setting under connections.

2. If you need an esim the only place to get it now is at an O2 store, it's free at the store.

3. If you already have an esim you won't be able to set up your watch just by going through the process on the Gear app, it'll set up the plan in principle on the phone and watch, but it won't connect to the network so don't waste your time. Delete the plan and go to an O2 store.

4. The only way you'll get the watch connected is by going to the O2 store, sitting with the sales person and have them set up the esim and the plan, it's £5 per month for 1gb which is more than enough data.

5. Most store sales people haven't a clue about setting up the Samsung watch 4g, so have them give you the esim, scan the QR code let your phone set up the plan and then have them go into their system as if your purchasing the watch directly from O2, at the bottom of their screen (this is at an O2 store) there is a box that says set up watch plan, when they press that, it'll allow them to set up a watch data plan, as if you've purchased the watch from O2.

6. At that point and after the salesperson puts in all the info from the esim they gave you into their system, it'll take about 10 min for the watch to connect, you'll then need to go into the connection settings on your watch, turn on auto for data, turn on data roaming and then go to the network search setting on the watch and let it the watch search for the network, it'll then register it and you're almost there.

7. Next go to your mobile and in settings, advanced, turn on the switch to use your mobile data on other devices, make sure when you turn it on, it shows your Samsung watch at the bottom, tap and another screen comes up showing the watch is connected to your phone.

8. Then reboot your watch and your mobile and you're done. Test it by leaving your phone in your home and take a walk, the watch should connect and show the 4g symbol and the mobile calling bars, if you try and make a call and it doesn't work or says connect to Bluetooth, go back to step 7, and reboot the phone to make sure it's found the device, i.e. your watch. It will also say at the bottom of the watch, standalone, means your using the watch on it's own.

9. You're done. Just remember you can only get your Samsung Watch 4g connected by getting it done in the O2 store.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@ZoeC 

All in a guide with additional tips posted by others Guide: Connecting your Samsung Smartwatch 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3