Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving any One Time Passcodes

GillOTP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I can no longer receive any OTP - they’re not coming through from my bank, from HMRC or the NHS app. O2 Customer service advised reset network but that didn’t help. They also thought an age restriction might have randomly been put on my account. That’s been removed but still the OTP don’t come through. Weirdly, whenever O2 sends me a text, a flood of old OTPs come through…but I still can’t get new ones. O2 say a technical support person will contact me in three working days. I really could do with this being sorted sooner, if anyone has any ideas? 

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126146 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @RafaC 

I know O2 are denying this as their fault. (people being unable to receive OTP codes).

However there are far too many people with the same issue for it to be their problem. Could you speak to O2 and see what they have to say please?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 34

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11624 Posts
  • 64 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

This could be a supplier issue as I know one of the SMS providers was having issues during the week, when we reported it to them as our customers weren't getting some of them... 

Remember there is a lot to the rubbish OTP system than o2

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 12 of 34

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38582 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1736 Solutions

Good idea, @Cleoriff - although it could also be a phone setting, as a previous poster had (fortunately) three short-codes blocked, and disabled the block on one at a time and tested until he found the 3rd one, which, when unblocked, started letting OTP SMS from Amazon in - problem solved

This for Samsung, for example: https://www.slicktext.com/helpcenter/articles/my-samsung-galaxy-has-a-shortcode-block-on-it-how-do-i...

A test short-code mechanism from O2, a reflector, would help with a lot of these queries, if one was available, @Martin-O2.

Message 13 of 34

IanCun
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've tried my sim card in 2 different phone and have no numbers blocked, so don't think it's down to that.

Message 14 of 34

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff@pgn I'll raise this with the team today and see if anything is going on. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 34

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone I've heard back on this and there is an ongoing issue with one time pass codes. The issue is

intermittent and a fix is currently being worked on. I'll update this topic once I have any further news. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 16 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 126146 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Martin-O2 👍

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 34

pgn
  • 38582 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1736 Solutions

Thanks, @Martin-O2 - that certainly explains the uptick in OTP and lost SMS message complaints of late.

Is there any known workaround that can be suggested, in the interim? OTP's are increasingly being used by many different types of applications, and it is stressful if you just don't get the SMS you need to login to a bank, to change an address with a service company, or to confirm to HMRC that it is really you that is logging in to their website. 

Can we put a note in red or in a box at the top of Guide: Text Message Tips (not sent or received) and Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? and Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update]  and Guide: Migration & porting into O2  for the time being, please? These seem to be the most commonly quoted Guides where problems are high...

Message 18 of 34

pgn
  • 38582 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1736 Solutions

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for flagging @pgn! 🙂

signature

Message 20 of 34