Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mast overload

jg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had this issue for 4 years. I get my wifi from O2 4g. On a simm that costs me over £30 pcm. I have invested in the best router and antenna at a cost of over £400. I get a good 4g signal of 75% but the data from the mast at L372eb drops everyday to around 0.2 mbs. I have been told that the data 02 feed to the mast  ( backhaul? ) is too low. O2 tell me there is nothing they will do but keep taking my £36 pcm. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@jg If O2 says they will do nothing, find a network with a better signal in your area and switch providers.

See if there's anything in these guides to help before you switch:

How can I sort out my network issues? - o2uk

Why do I have poor coverage indoors? (o2.co.uk)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

jg
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 only signal. 

E05F9668-6726-4C57-9B4B-C04611531796.jpeg

464D1AD6-EFEF-43CE-938C-ABFD4024D3AE.png

Message 3 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@jg 

If o2 say they cant get any further upgrades to the Backhaul to the mast which will include dark fibre runs, or just plain fibre then there is nothing you can do..

o2 dont offer any Speed SLA's, and to be honest I would be looking at paying off the contract and moving elsewhere. 

You wont get any leeway as you have put up with the issue for 4 years and thus renewing your contract knowing the issues exist.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@jg Are you saying that you don't get a signal from any network other than O2? Have you tried Pay & Go sims from Vodafone or EE or Three?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

jg
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello. I was told that only contract simms allowed wifi from 4g. At first I even bought a contract simm from Tesco ( o2 ) but it did not work and o2 told me I had to use a genuine o2 simm not Tesco. EE told me their coverage at that postcode was the best ( we have put up many new masts there they had not they share o2 s mast ). Tried their sim much worse than o2. The photos show that my antenna and router are receiving excellent 4g signals. But the data is not there. This area is a holiday destination so on a sunny weekend it is useless. They still take my £36 each month. O2 coverage map does show good 4g coverage but no good if there is no data bandwidth. ( back haul ). All I want ( and approx 40 other caravan owners on this site want ) is more data into this mast. Without constant WiFi and poor 2g I am concerned. Incidentally I am a licensed radio amateur and would love to use my home station remotely over WiFi but it breaks up too much. I thought the Government had given funds to provide rural WiFi ?

Sent by Julian Goodman from my iPhone

On 12 May 2022, at 17:55, O2 Community <forum@o2.com> wrote:

Hi jg,

Bambino (Level 77: Grand Master) mentioned you on the O2 Community. Maybe, they've answered a question you recently posted or they're just sparking up a conversation.

Re: Mast overload

Read what Bambino said here: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/Mast-overload/m-p/1549287#M21431

@jg Are you saying that you don't get a signal from any network other than O2? Have you tried Pay & Go sims from Vodafone or EE or Three?

O2 Community sent this message to mail@jgoodman.co.uk.
You are receiving this email because you were @mentioned.

To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.

Message 6 of 10

jg
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that. Sadly o2 is the only 4 g signal so can not move. WiFi sometimes works so better than nothing but often useless. Caravan site owner says we do not need WiFi as it encourages children to use their phones. 

Message 7 of 10

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@jg 

The government are funding fixed line and Wi-Max Solutions, and not Mobile, although there are plans for that as well, but thats mostly upto the Networks to work together to provide infrastructure.. 

The problem is that you are on the edge of a National Trust property, who don't want mobile masts spoiling the area, and if like most areas will veto any request for any to be put up. 

You need to have a look at the likes of B4RN, but BT provide fixed line in Formby, but the speeds are only upto about 30mb/s

Also speak to the Caravan site owners and ask them to contact one of the networks, and see how much it will cost to provide mobile coverage into the site, or for them to provide WiFI, via one of the BT Openreach operators, or one of the commercial WiFi operators and they will need to pay for, which I am afraid in turns means you have to pay for it.

Just so you know the cost to provide coverage in a central London Office, is in the 5 or 6 figures., so would expect the same or more on the NW Coast

Message 8 of 10

jg
  • 23 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did speak to a company who said they could install fast BB to the site. Free to the owner. They charge over their website. Owner can be paid from this.  But when I told them the name of the site they laughed and said no chance as we have pursued this with the owner on many occasions who says no. She does not even have a card machine she only takes cash for gas bottles. There are 3 radio amateurs on the site but she refuses any antennas. There are already about 40 4g antennas on caravans which I suspect does not help the overload. 

Message 9 of 10

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@jg 

Sorry to say in that case you are stuck between a rock and a hardplace. 

Message 10 of 10