Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue sending international SMS to the Irish EIR network

Jimjims89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I would like to report an issue with sending international SMS to the Irish network EIR. My dad lives in Ireland and does not use WhatsApp, and he sends me SMS text messages which i can receive fine. However when i send him a SMS back he doesn’t receive it. He told me he noticed this is happening with some other messages he receives from English phone numbers.

Long story short after a lot of digging into this issue we have found this seems to be happening only when he is sent a international SMS from the O2 and Tesco Mobile network. He rang his own phone network “EIR” and after troubleshooting they told him that it looks like the the sms are getting lost on the way from O2 to EIR and they surmise that there is a problem with “the international SMS routing from O2 to EIR, and to contact O2 as it is under their control”

So i would like to highlight this issue. Many thanks.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Tracey141068
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No its on contract , we are paying it for her , o2 have confirmed there's no restrictions or spending caps .

We have all tried to text and none of us can.

o2 have suggested contacting eircom , i have messaged them on twitter , my cousin is going to go into the eircom shop for advice . Other than either us or my cousin changing phone providers , then I can't see a solution.

Luckily I can use WhatsApp to message her.

Message 21 of 24

Tracey141068
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My mum can text her sister in Ireland without a problem,  my aunt is with Vodafone ie.

Message 22 of 24

Jimjims89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes i have to agree this seems to be an issue between Eir and O2. It’s simply not acceptable to say just use WhatsApp/ skype. If you bought a car from a garage and it broke down you wouldn’t accept if the mechanic told you to just use a taxi instead. This issue still isn’t resolved and i’m going to try contact Eir and see what is going on

Message 23 of 24

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37191 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

From the EIR forums, @Jimjims89 

pgn_0-1713536264348.png

Just in case it's something that simple.... not sure how the older Nokia phones implemented blocking, tbh.

Message 24 of 24