Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue sending international SMS to the Irish EIR network

Jimjims89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I would like to report an issue with sending international SMS to the Irish network EIR. My dad lives in Ireland and does not use WhatsApp, and he sends me SMS text messages which i can receive fine. However when i send him a SMS back he doesn’t receive it. He told me he noticed this is happening with some other messages he receives from English phone numbers.

Long story short after a lot of digging into this issue we have found this seems to be happening only when he is sent a international SMS from the O2 and Tesco Mobile network. He rang his own phone network “EIR” and after troubleshooting they told him that it looks like the the sms are getting lost on the way from O2 to EIR and they surmise that there is a problem with “the international SMS routing from O2 to EIR, and to contact O2 as it is under their control”

So i would like to highlight this issue. Many thanks.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145030 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@Jimjims89 

This is a customer to customer community, not O2, so we cannot access your account, sorry.
You need to contact O2.
Message them on Social Media. Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) or give them a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (contract) 4445 or 0344 8090222 (PAYG)

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 24

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36467 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

On the O2 side, without the International Bolt-On, this will be racking up the pennies in international SMS, let alone what your dad is paying to text your UK number @Jimjims89.

Have you considered using WhatsApp (as an example) rather than SMS?  You would both need to have it on your phone, and then not only messages, but voice calls (in a good network area) and pictures, etc, can all be sent for free, providing you have a bit of data included in your tariffs each side for when you are away from a domestic WiFi signal.

Note SMS is not a guaranteed delivery method, and a percentage of messages, for various reasons, do get lost in the ether (target phone off-net or not switched on, cross-net message losses, etc). WhatsApp is end-to-end encrypted and not only works every time, but uses indicators to tell you if your message has been received as well as if it has been read by the recipient.

Just saying... 

Message 3 of 24

MI5
  • 145030 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

My dad lives in Ireland and does not use WhatsApp, 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 24

pgn
  • 36467 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

No harm in suggesting WhatsApp (as an example) 😁

Message 5 of 24

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6328 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

No harm in suggesting WhatsApp (as an example) 😁

@pgn 

The free versions of Teams and Zoom are other examples of software that @Jimjims89 and his dad could experiment with. 👍    

Message 6 of 24

pgn
  • 36467 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

Jimjims89
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi guys thanks for the suggestions, i have tried setting him up on WhatsApp unfortunately he uses an old nokia phone so i might have to try upgrade him. In the meantime is there an email address for o2 technical support or is the best way to ring the helpline?

Message 8 of 24

MI5
  • 145030 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@Jimjims89 

All ways in the guide I provided above

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Currently using:
Message 9 of 24

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6328 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Jimjims89 

Your dad would not need an expensive smartphone and if @pgn's hypothesis that you "....will be racking up the pennies in international SMS..." is correct, you might actually find that you and your dad save money over time.

I have helped a couple of elderly people set up and use their first smartphone in the last few months ; all have commented that they have found the features really useful once they became familiar with their new handsets. 👍

Message 10 of 24