Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my old number back?

Liam95
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I changed to O2 earlier this month and specifically stated that I wanted to keep my number. They've issued me with a new number. This has left me unable to access my online banking due to not receiving the verification codes.

When I rang them up, they asked for the PAC code. I found the text message containing my PAC code which stated that it was valid until 31/07. However, the person on the phone claimed the PAC code had expired on 12/07.

I asked how to keep my old number, and was passed onto someone else. They said that I would need to discard my account with the new (unwanted) number, which I've done. I asked how to get my old number back a few times and was having difficulty communicating with them.

I'm now in a position where I have an unwanted new number, and all I want is my old number back. I don't know what to do and this is causing me lots of issues now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Liam

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126125 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@Liam95 

We're just customers like you but it sounds as if you need someone to access your account which can't be done from here

Give O2 a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (Contract) OR 4445 or 0344 809 222 (PAYG)

Or you can message O2 on Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram ( https://o2uk.co/O2CIG), hopefully they should be able to help.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 149638 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Liam95 

If your PAC has expired you need to get a new one from your old provider Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

Then give it to O2 Guide: Migration & porting into O2 

You need to contact O2.
Message them on Social Media. Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) or give them a call on 202 or 0344 809 0202 (contract) 4445 or 0344 8090222 (PAYG)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 10

Liam95
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you both for getting back to me.

I have the PAC code which isn't supposed to expire until 31/07. They claim that it expired on 12/07. The PAC code is from O2 themselves, and my account is now associated with this new unwanted number.

Phoning them has been very difficult when it comes to getting things done. I just get passed from person to person with nobody able to actually assist. I've messaged them 4 times on Facebook since Tuesday but have been ignored.

All I want is my old number. It's left me unable to access various accounts, most notably my online banking, and it's pushing me over the edge. I really don't know where to go from here.

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 149638 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Liam95 

If you were with O2 previously you don't need a PAC.

You just need a number migration Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

Keep trying until you get someone who knows what they are doing.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 10

Liam95
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I really appreciate your reply. Please forgive me as I'm not very good with technology.

Would I need a code for a number migration?

Can they do the number migration over the phone?

Thanks,

Liam

Message 6 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11623 Posts
  • 64 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@Liam95 

Yes they can do it over the phone and you dont need any codes.. just the 2 phone numbers

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 149638 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Liam95 

No code needed and yes it can be done over the phone.

The problem is finding a customer service agent who knows how to do it. It can be done, so keep trying.

Message 8 of 10

Liam95
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I'll persist again tomorrow. Really helpful to know what I actually need to ask for. The responses on here have been far more useful than the 45-minute telephone conversation I had earlier this evening.

Fingers crossed for someone a bit more useful on the other end of the phone tomorrow! 🤣

Message 9 of 10

Liam95
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yet another unsuccessful day comprising of three very long phone calls, a sixth ignored Facebook message, and an hour-and-a-half long web chat that ended with me being told to call O2 again.

I learned that my original number - for no reason whatsoever - has been migrated to Virgin Media. But upon calling Virgin Media, they claimed that the old number had been migrated to O2. I'm inclined to believe Virgin Media on this on the basis that my last contract with my original number was with O2.

On the second phone call I got passed from person to person (again). Eventually, I was told that the only way to retain my original number would be to cancel the new account with the new (incorrect) number. I reluctantly told them to go ahead and do that, and now I have no service on my phone. I did this out of desperation but now regret it, as I'm in an even worse position than where I was this morning. O2 don't seem interested.

I'm now locked out of my emails as well as my online banking and I can't see any way of resolving this. I feel like I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown and at this rate will very soon be in financial difficulty. All I need is my old number back, which I was supposed to retain in the first place.

I now need a valid PAC code, but I can't text 65075 to receive it because I don't have access to the number. And both O2 and Virgin Media are claiming the other has access to it. And I'm convinced O2 are lying about this.

Message 10 of 10