Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellular issue Apple Watch series 9

LouiseW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi, I have never posted before but this is my last resort. 

I recently got a new cellular Apple watch series 9 from Apple. It works perfectly except for the data. I set the plan up up on the first day I got it, chose the plan, got messaged the contract info all fine. In the watch app it just said ‘activating’ 

2 days later it still says activating. Wasn’t an issue I thought so I just messaged customer support through the app. The man confirmed that there was a technical issue and that he would reset my plan for me, he told me to reset my watch too. So I reset my watch and went to set up mobile data and a new message appeared saying that o2 was in the process of setting up my plan…if i had an issue call 202 with error code reference 08, the man didn’t reset my plan. So I called 202 and they weren’t very helpful and didn’t seem to know how to help me, they said they would email me a phone number to call and guess what they didn’t send the email!

so I am baffled now, if anyone can help me, reset my plan or something, this is all making me to just send the watch back! 

Thanks🙏

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

LouiseW
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Okay apparently the esim they are posting to me is how I activate the mobile data plan I selected when setting up my watch? This is ridiculous why is it so difficult 

Message 11 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@LouiseW 

You don't need that either.

It's all here Apple Watch | Help & Support | O2

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 20

LouiseW
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

3 days later, called so many times and still nothing…

Message 13 of 20

LouiseW
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Okay, over 2 weeks I’ve had the watch now BUT they have finally done it, just keep calling 202 up and each person you speak to will say a different thing😆 but you will get someone who know what they’re doing eventually, then just wait!

Message 14 of 20

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 8132 Posts
  • 167 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@LouiseW 

I am so pleased that you've been sorted - hopefully the watch will live up to expectations. 

Message 15 of 20

Penny_Race
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am now in the same hellish process. Bought my Apple Watch Ultra through Apple after having read the 4th FAQ down on the Apple Watch page on o2's website https://www.o2.co.uk/apple-watch

I already have an Apple Watch – how do I get an O2 Airtime Plan?

If you already have an O2 Pay Monthly contract, and you already own an Apple Watch, you can set up mobile data via the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.

I followed these instructions and activated the plan via the Apple Watch app on my iPhone on Christmas Day.

A week later, the Mobile Plan still showed as "O2 Activating". Virtual assistant support useless.

On Tuesday I called 202, was told the activation was "stuck" and will need to be processed manually (whatever that involves). Was promised this would take 1-3 days with 3 days being the maximum and if it hadn't happened by Friday to call back.

Saturday arrives, still stuck on "O2 Activating" 12 days after initial request. 

Called 202 again, this time was told that the issue was that I had purchased the add-on via a third party. I haven't, I simply followed the instructions on O2's website and requested the plan via the Apple Watch app on the iPhone. Apparently the order is showing on the O2 system as being via some third party I've never heard of called SES Satellite communications. The O2 assistant said she could resolve the issue by cancelling the order and placing a new one. Great I said, please go ahead. She then said no, she couldn't do this as I'd purchased my Apple Watch myself and O2 only offer Apple Watch mobile plans when you also purchase the watch via O2. I informed the assistant of the FAQ on the O2 website above which states clearly that O2 offer mobile plans for watches purchased elsewhere. She has now said she will speak to her manager and call me back on Monday, but with no promise or guarantee of a resolution.

2 weeks, no activation, 2 long calls, lots of hassle I can happily do without.

Am I wasting my time and should I just give up now?  Do I have to go through O2's Kafkaesque bureaucracy to get a mobile plan?  Or can I get one from a third party? If so, can anyone recommend me an alternative? And if not, does anyone have a recommendation of an Apple Watch mobile and watch plan from an alternative provider? 

Message 16 of 20

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 8132 Posts
  • 167 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Penny_Race 

You have probably noted that there are hundreds of posts on this forum regarding Apple watch issues on O2. Some get solved, some don't and some are never heard about again. 

On another thread in the last day or so, @MI5 suggested to someone that they move to either Vodaphone or EE. That is one option for you to consider. Otherwise, you need to persevere with Customer Services on 202 or contact the social media team :-

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

A good time to contact 202 is just after 8.00am ; you will maximise your chances of getting a UK call centre with their more experienced staff.  

Message 17 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93492 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6998 Solutions

Forget O2

I'm not confident that this is a big problem that O2 will ever fix

Some customers have ported out to EE who don't seem to have any problem connecting Apple watches to their network

Message 18 of 20

Lorraine52
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello LouiseW, I’m unfortunately having the same issue, did they tell you how they actually fixed the issue…..trying to get as much information as 202 every time I call have no idea unfortunately 

Message 19 of 20

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37497 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1706 Solutions

@Lorraine52 wrote:

Hello LouiseW, I’m unfortunately having the same issue, did they tell you how they actually fixed the issue…..trying to get as much information as 202 every time I call have no idea unfortunately 

@Lorraine52 - all info has been compiled here, if you are lucky enough to have one of the error vides contained herein: Activate Apple Watch Guide 

Good luck.

Message 20 of 20