Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old number back again?

dcandersson
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I used to have a pay monthly account but let it lapse when I went abroad (owing O2 some money). This was back in 2013

I have just come back and I would like my old phone number back (I have now just paid off the money on the old bill!). 
Is there a way to do this?

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BamBam1982 

Sorry for your loss.

When a number is disassociated from a SIM without being transferred, UK service providers are required to place it in quarantine for six months before it can be reissued, anyone calling the number during the time would receive an 'out of service' tone.

There were two months between the original poster's messages so well within the quarantine period in which the number can be reactivated.

As you said your Dad passed last year I think it's likely his number will have been reissued by now and service providers won't enforce a change of number on a customer unless it's a technical reason or if ofcom orders them to, unfortunately no ownership rights over a number are ever conferred on a customer (personal or business)

All the number management processes are documented here http://mnposg.org.uk/Main_Documents/MNP2%20Manual%20issue%201-34.pdf

I'm sorry I can't give you better news.

Message 11 of 32

Changin
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So is it possible to get old numbers back? Mine hasn't been used for eight years. It was never changed to a different provider?
Message 12 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93586 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7000 Solutions
Message 13 of 32

Changin
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok thanks for the quick reply. I realise it's a real long-shot.
Message 14 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93586 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7000 Solutions

You're welcome.

Worth a free call but I would be real surprised if they can get the number back.

Message 15 of 32

Changin
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I am surprised they can't just re-issue the number. But I guess I am living in cloud-cuckoo land.
Message 16 of 32

Murfer
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

Message 17 of 32

Murfer
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was cut off yesterday and didn’t get a pac code. O2 are saying I can’t get the number back even if I opened up a new contract. Is this right?

Message 18 of 32

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7404 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Who cut you off? If it was a provider other than O2 you may be out of luck and will have to deal with them.

If it was O2 then you didn't need a PAC as it is a straight migration

Have a look at our guide.

Guide: Migration & porting into O2  

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 19 of 32

Murfer
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I was leaving o2 to go to Sky mobile and forgot to get a pac code from 02, hence losing my number.

Message 20 of 32