cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international calling questions o2 cant answer

Anonymous
Not applicable

since the removal of the international call packages and call me number I am finding it hard to see any value in o2 beyond other providers.  my previous o2 package giving me 2,000 international minutes and a call me number was a clear USP.  today the offering repalcing this services is lacking, if it is not lacking the staff at o2 dont have a clue when asking questions.  so here are my questions if anyone can help.

1) I have been automatically enrolled into the "international caller bolt on (trial)" calling rates are said to be reduced but appear on my accont at the full rate, o2 cs say it will be ajusted at the end fo the billing period?  if this is the case why?

2) call me number any option here?

3) i have a confrect call this pm and to dial a 1-800 toll free US number from the UK acording to the o2 cs will cost me £2 p/m  ? I question this as the standard tariff is £1.50 p/m and the bolt on is 2p/p/m  - can anyone tell me how much this will cost?

thanks

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Skype or another VOIP is the only way to call 1-800 numbers from the UK free of charge. I've used Skype numerous times for this and never had a problem. I was, however, calling using a desktop. If you were on WiFi on a mobile you should be able to hold the call, but if you were using data it might prove problematic.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 19

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the mention @Cleoriff wink 

I'll ask for an update on the International trial in general and specifics about @Anonymous's situation. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 19

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Anonymous I use Skype to call the USA on my phone using wifi regularly with no problems at all. I've not called 1-800 numbers but I would imagine you should have no problems as long as you use over wifi.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 13 of 19

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
US FreeFone numbers are not free to call from outside the US.

Not sure about intra-EU situation, but generally, the International Direct Dial number should be used in place of the 0800 or 0845 number for calls back to the UK from Europe - they come out of your call quota now that calls while roaming in the EU are treated as if you were making the call on your home network anyway.

Calls to in-country freephone numbers in the UK only became free to call from UK mobiles recently, I think.
Message 14 of 19

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Calls to UK freephone numbers became free to call on mobiles June/July last year @pgn.

And you're also correct US freephone numbers are only free in the US whether on mobile or landline. Many years ago I stupidly tried contacting a firm of New York lawyers with a 1-800 number by landline without success. I really should have known better!.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 15 of 19

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous and everyone, I have an update on this. Please see below. 

There has been no change in how the billing for this trial works. Please see the official info: 

Customers can make an International call to the destination of their choice and the call will be calculated at cost per minute.

In the background, the call will be re-rated from standard to the International Bolt On trial rate. As a result, customers may see a call on their unbilled charges at the standard rate per minute before it’s recalculated at the trial rate within 24 hours.

Customers won’t pay anything per month for the trial. Only the calls they make will be charged at the relevant per minute rate – these can be found at www.o2.co.uk/intertrial. Customers can opt out of the trial by texting NO INT to 23336. Once they opt out they can’t be added back on.

If your bill has not adjusted after 24 hours either contact customer services or give me a shout and we'll get it sorted. wink

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 16 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Martin-O2 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

No worries guys! Feel free to tag me if you see anyone having problems with this one. 

signature

Message 19 of 19