Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

iPhone - Visual Voicemail Abroad

Hi All,

I've done a search on the Forum and O2 website. There are a couple of forum postings on this but they are rather old so wanted to check some uptodate information.

Having recently got an iPhone and took out an iPhone Simplicity 20 tariff I was pleased to see that it included visual voicemail. However I am confused as to how this system actually works, especially when abroad. The O2 website says that if data roaming is off, visual voicemail won't work at all. This is plainly incorrect as I am abroad at present and have data roaming OFF but visual voicemail is working.

Question is how does it work and secondly are there any charges for using it as I can't find anything about charges in the T&Cs.

Many Thanks. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

How I thought it worked was that o2 sent data information to you're Iphone that included the voice message and the id.

I'm unsure if it's sent via a version of mms or just as data.

Quick question: while abroad do you get new voice messages or just the ability to hear old ones already on your phone? Plus do you connect to any wireless networks?
Highlighted
Anonymous

dawson, that's how I thought Visual Voicemail worked.
Highlighted
Anonymous

You get new messages as well and the ability to listen. What I'm unsure of is charges for this even if roaming is off. Can't find anything on website and O2 customer services couldn't give me a definitive answer either. Have emailed them again to get clarification.
Highlighted
Anonymous

From www.o2.co.uk > Support > iPhone > iPhone Features > Visual Voicemail > How do I use Visual Voicemail abroad?

In most countries Visual Voicemail will work as it does in the UK. Where it doesn't work you can access your voicemail from another device by dialing your mobile number, pressing * during your greeting and following the prompts.
After you've upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0 software, your Visual Voicemail might work differently overseas.
If Data Roaming (in Settings > General > Network) is switched off on your iPhone, Visual Voicemail it won't work at all. Instead, to get your voicemail overseas, you can:
1. Call 901 (there might be a charge)
2. Switch on Data Roaming (in Settings > General > Network) while you look at Visual Voicemail, then turn it off again. We don't recommend this, because some of your iPhone apps might automatically send or receive data and you'll be charged. It's £3 a MB in the EU and £6 a MB everywhere else, so it's a bit risky if you don't want an unexpected big bill when you get back.
3. Buy one of our Data Abroad Bolt Ons. They give you a bundle of data to use while you're away. You won't be charged for Visual Voicemail data, but any other data will come off your bundle.

This change to Visual Voicemail is only temporary. Keep your iPhone software updated and check back soon.

Not sure if its a bit out of date but does suggest visual voicemail shouldn't charge at all.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes but it also says VVM won't work at all if Data Roaming is off. This is complete rubbish as my Data Roaming is off and VVM is working!

It would appear very few seem to know how this system works or if charges are incurred. I would agree that no charges should be incurred but would like it confirmed.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes but it also says VVM won't work at all if Data Roaming is off. This is complete rubbish as my Data Roaming is off and VVM is working!
It would appear very few seem to know how this system works or if charges are incurred. I would agree that no charges should be incurred but would like it confirmed.

Its not rubbish as it clearly says this applys to 3.0 (not 3.1.2) and that its temporary. On 2.x I can tell you that visual voicemail definitely worked fully when abroad with data roaming off and that it didn't charge. So I reckon thats how it works on 3.1.2 as well.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm afraid it is rubbish as VVM worked on OS3.0 as well even with Data Roaming switched off. Their statement is not correct. It certainly worked for me before the upgrade and after. Despite this the website should be updated now that the software is at v3.1.2.

O2 Customer Services don't even know the correct answer as they have now emailed back saying VVM will NOT work abroad with roaming off. They claim it only works abroad if data roaming is on despite me telling them otherwise. They also state it will be charged as data roaming has to be on for it to work! Certainly am not going to get a definitive answer from O2.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm afraid it is rubbish as VVM worked on OS3.0 as well even with Data Roaming switched off.

Visual voicemail didn't work for me abroad with data roaming off on 3.0, but it did work on 3.0.1 and above.

The statement on the o2 site as relates to 3.0 is correct, although is out of date.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: iPhone - Visual Voicemail Abroad

Hi All,
Question is how does it work and secondly are there any charges for using it as I can't find anything about charges in the T&Cs.

From what I can gather ; VVM works on its own protocol to other services (I.e like MMS, Voice or SMS). They all use thier own protocol so o2 can block or allow them (when at home or abroad).

To me, it would seem that o2 is allowing the VVM protocol, possibly only in EU countries (where are you ADH?). I would suggest checking your bill, as their iphone help website is pretty useless - If you have been charged (but i doubt you will have been), just tell them that you did everything that their own website said at the time.