Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Level 1: Joiner

Re: Unable to make and receive calls and some problems with texts

After much playing around with my settings all evening I have finally been able to make a call now I have changed the network mode to 2G.
Previously I have had this set as 3G and 2G for at least 4 years and have had no problems.
Anyone know what this means - is it something I've inadvertently done, a phone problem or a problem with O2?

@jonsie thank you for the link to O2 Ask.
Level 69: Guiding Light

@Nightowl It means that the old mast gives you a better signal on 2G rather than 3G or 4G. When the new mast goes live, you should get a better signal in your area.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

@Bambino Thanks that's good to hear. It says online that they are doing maintenance on the mast/s next week with the new one due to go live on 1st July so I can only assume it is a knock on effect from that as I'd had no problems until last week!
Just glad I have found a way to make calls in the meantime!
Topics: 577
Solutions: 4,092

It's not a phone problem ut it may be worth calling into your nearest O2 store and getting a new sim card just to make sure there is no problem with it. I would hope they are upgrading the mast in your area but until then leave it on 2G when you are home.

@jonsie Thanks, yes I will go into O2 next week as my sim is quite old so definitely worth them checking / changing it.
Level 2: Apprentice

Here are some of the checks i would do as a guru.

1. Try your sim in another phone.

2. Try another sim in your phone to see if the handset is fine or not

3. When visiting other area check your signal and services to see if they resume.

4.Have you tried selecting a network manually on your device?

5. Turn 4g of and try 2g/3g

6. Potentially a sim swap

If you have done everything above you essentially cannot do anymore, Then you would need to get intouch with the gurus to raise a change in service case which goes to the engineers and they take it from there.

O2 Guru,
O2 Customer Service Advisor,
Android user

If and when i help you within the community, It's out of work hours meaning i will not access any accounts during our interaction. (Which is not allowed anyway).
Topics: 577
Solutions: 4,092

[ Edited ]

@EducatedDevice wrote:

Here are some of the checks i would do as a guru.

If you have done everything above you essentially cannot do anymore, Then you would need to get intouch with the gurus to raise a change in service case which goes to the engineers and they take it from there.

If indeed you are an O2 Guru @EducatedDevice, you need to put that in your signature along with a disclaimer.

@Martin-O2@Marjo@EmilieTcan advise further.

Update - I went into my local O2 store today and did a sim swap and all seems to be working again now.

Thank you all for your help.
Topics: 569
Solutions: 15,377

Fingers crossed for you and glad I could help.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)