Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make and receive calls and some problems with texts

Nightowl
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Since last week I have been unable to make calls on my phone and at times have not been able to receive them.

When trying to dial out I receive the error message: call failure, the call could not be connected, please try again later.

This seems to happen whether I am dialing an O2 number or other networks and local/national numbers.

I have received a couple of calls from other networks and local/national numbers but had problems with people dialing in from O2. When people using O2 tried to contact me they were diverted straight to voicemail and sometimes I received a text to say I had a missed call.

I have also had problems at times sending and receiving texts.

I have looked online where people suggest looking at call forwarding settings but when I go to that screen I get an error and am unable to access the settings.

Anyone any ideas?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Nightowl
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
After much playing around with my settings all evening I have finally been able to make a call now I have changed the network mode to 2G.
Previously I have had this set as 3G and 2G for at least 4 years and have had no problems.
Anyone know what this means - is it something I've inadvertently done, a phone problem or a problem with O2?
Message 11 of 21

Nightowl
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@jonsie thank you for the link to O2 Ask.
Message 12 of 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Nightowl It means that the old mast gives you a better signal on 2G rather than 3G or 4G. When the new mast goes live, you should get a better signal in your area.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 21

Nightowl
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Bambino Thanks that's good to hear. It says online that they are doing maintenance on the mast/s next week with the new one due to go live on 1st July so I can only assume it is a knock on effect from that as I'd had no problems until last week!
Just glad I have found a way to make calls in the meantime!
Message 14 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's not a phone problem ut it may be worth calling into your nearest O2 store and getting a new sim card just to make sure there is no problem with it. I would hope they are upgrading the mast in your area but until then leave it on 2G when you are home.

Message 15 of 21

Nightowl
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@jonsie Thanks, yes I will go into O2 next week as my sim is quite old so definitely worth them checking / changing it.
Message 16 of 21

EducatedDevice
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Here are some of the checks i would do as a guru.

1. Try your sim in another phone.

2. Try another sim in your phone to see if the handset is fine or not

3. When visiting other area check your signal and services to see if they resume.

4.Have you tried selecting a network manually on your device?

5. Turn 4g of and try 2g/3g

6. Potentially a sim swap

If you have done everything above you essentially cannot do anymore, Then you would need to get intouch with the gurus to raise a change in service case which goes to the engineers and they take it from there.

O2 Guru,
O2 Customer Service Advisor,
Android user

If and when i help you within the community, It's out of work hours meaning i will not access any accounts during our interaction. (Which is not allowed anyway).
Message 17 of 21

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@EducatedDevice wrote:

Here are some of the checks i would do as a guru.

If you have done everything above you essentially cannot do anymore, Then you would need to get intouch with the gurus to raise a change in service case which goes to the engineers and they take it from there.

If indeed you are an O2 Guru @EducatedDevice, you need to put that in your signature along with a disclaimer.

@Martin-O2@Marjo@EmilieTcan advise further.

Message 18 of 21

Nightowl
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Update - I went into my local O2 store today and did a sim swap and all seems to be working again now.

Thank you all for your help.
Message 19 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Fingers crossed for you and glad I could help.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 21