Did you mean: 

Text increasing data to 5gb?

adeuk5
Level 3: Thinker
  • 38 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I've had a text from O2 :
O2: Good news. We're increasing your 4G data allowance. So you'll get 5GB of data a month, instead of 1GB. That's 4GB extra, for nothing. We'll apply the change to your account on 7 January.

I was already on the £22 4g contract with a 5gb data bolt on for £5. As 5gb is enough for me does this mean that I no longer need the Bolt on and that I get 5gb included with the £22 plan?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

adeuk5
  • 38 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
It does seem a bit of a mess.

Despite what was said here, I do not get a discount.

The text in December announced that my data increase from 1gb to 5gb ( an extra 4gb) would be applied 7th Jan. My Bill on 3rd Jan showed no changes. Today my account and bills are unchanged other than the £5 data bolt on has gone up from 5gb to 8gb ( only 3gb increase). No mention of any discount.
Phoned O2. Asked that if I cancelled my bolt on would my £22pm contract include 5gb. He had to ask someone else but said that if I cancelled my bolt on I would be left with just 2gb?
So how do you get a 5gb data allowance? What has happened to my missing extra 1gb promised in the text?

Message 11 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147223 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
What was on offer was a data increase to the next level, so 1gb went to 5gb and 5gb went to 8gb. The discount is if you were already on 8gb because there was no where else to go.
It's now £22 for 5gb or £27 for 8gb
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 21

adeuk5
  • 38 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
As I said, the text stated an increase of 4gb, I got an increase of 3gb
And if I drop the bolt on ( total of £27 to £22) I go to 2gb, not 5gb?
Message 13 of 21

MI5
  • 147223 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
You got a free upgrade - the same as everyone else gets.
As you were already on 5Gb you go to 8Gb, that's the same for everyone on the 5Gb tariff previously.
O2 didn't have to apply this retrospectively so you're getting something for nothing - why the complaints?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 21

MI5
  • 147223 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

The tariffs are now:

Unlimited Minutes Unlimited Texts 8GB Data £27.00 

Unlimited Minutes Unlimited Texts 5GB Data £22.00 

Unlimited Minutes Unlimited Texts 1GB Data £17.00 

Message 15 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I think the text was mis-read, the deal is explained here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/4g

There seems to always be a penalty for offering something for nothing.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 21

MI5
  • 147223 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
Something in the air today !!
Message 17 of 21

adeuk5
  • 38 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hehe, I don't think I misread the text, I quoted it in my original post. It is quite clear.
And I am not being offered the new middle tariff posted by mi5.

Yes I got 3gb extra for free, just saying it is a mess and very badly approached.
I am left to assume that quite simply my basic £22 airtime plan ( with basic data of 2gb) stays as it was and does not have the full benefit of the new plans (5gb), but we do get another free 3gb on our data bolt on.
No discounts as suggested (albeit only mentioned here not by O2), only 3gb increase not 4gb, and the increase is on the bolt on not the airtime plan for "existing" contracts.
Shame that O2 couldn't be clearer from the outset

Thanks all
Message 18 of 21

MI5
  • 147223 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
Your price will remain the same but you will now get 8Gb of data instead of 5Gb - Simples slight_smile
Message 19 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@adeuk5 wrote:
Hehe, I don't think I misread the text, I quoted it in my original post. It is quite clear.

The text assumed you had 1Gb of data, you didn't you had 5Gb.

If you had asked here for advice before going ahead it would have been made clear to you.

Obviously O2 made a mistake in offering something free.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 20 of 21