cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to upgrade my phone. Should I just cancel?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

About a month ago my current mobile phone (HTC One X) died on me and I have been unable to use it ever since.   Anyway, seeing as I was due an upgrade on the 16th December I decided to just wait without a phone for a few weeks and upgrade online.

Anyway, with Xmas and New Year being busy for me, I have only just got round to seeing about an upgrade.  I was part way through the online process, when I got to the page where they send you a four digit code to your current phone.  As my current phone is totally broken, I'm unable to recieve this code.   I asked the online help team and all they said was to put my Sim Card into another phone in the household, but my simcard in a micro sim and all the other phones in the house don't support the micro sim. 

Does anyone know of a way where I can recieve this four digit code?  I'm also certain that the same thing happened to my previous phone (in that it died before upgrade) but I somehow mangaged to get the four digit code but can't remember exactly how I did it.

I'm also possibly thinking of just cancelling the contract if I can't get it sorted anyway, but ideally would like to stay with O2. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147224 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
It would be easier for you to take your old phone and sim to an O2 store. They will process the upgrade and you'll walk out with a new phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
  • 147224 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
It would be easier for you to take your old phone and sim to an O2 store. They will process the upgrade and you'll walk out with a new phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 23

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23564 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

If you can get to an O2 store you can get a free adapter for your sim card. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 23

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

go to an o2 store explain the issue they may let you put the sim in there phones to allow you to get the code.

Or they maybe able to assist you in the upgarde process if you have all the documents with you,

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Have you actually finished the upgrade process online?

If not, I recommend upgrading in store, at least you will walk out with your new phone the same day if in stock.

Message 5 of 23

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I don't think that it is a reason to cancel your account.

I think it is a easy-ish problem to resolve.

As other members have suggested, the best option for you is to go to an O2 store when you are able to and they should be able to process an upgrade for you.  I do know that they have gadgets to put the sim in and therefore they could allow you to receive the 4 digit code.  Or they may have another way of doing the upgrade in store for you.

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I be the 6th person to say to go into an O2 Shop?

Thoughful

Message 7 of 23

MI5
  • 147224 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
By sending you the text it is an extra level of security to prevent someone fraudulently upgrading your account and taking the phone for themselves.
Personally I think that is a good thing and makes me feel more comfortable that my account is secure.
Message 8 of 23

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I be the 6th person to say to go into an O2 Shop?

Thoughful

Yes

The issue is many were typing at the same time some faster than others.

Some forum software warns you and shows others have posted this forum it just lets you post and as we have lost the delete button I am fed up constantly going back and either flagging or just editing it out.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 23

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Its not a bad idea Adam, to add a feature that informs others of present typing. I shall look into it!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 23