cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping phone numbers between 2 o2 contracts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I have 2 mobile contracts with o2, one for myself and one for my partner. My partners contract is due for renewal in February and I want to then take this as my contract and upgarde as I want an iphone and dont want to wait till May for the other contract to be renewed. Am I able to swap the phone numbers around so my partners contract due for upgrade in Feb can then have my phone number and vice versa?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Katie

The guys are right the switching of numbers as you descibed can't be done.

However, if your upgrade is due in May for your mobile number, which is the one you want to upgrade, you can call 202 free from your O2 mobile phone, and ask to speak to the Upgrades team to find out how much it would cost for you to do an early upgrade now rather than waiting until May.

O2 do offer the option of paying a buyout fee to upgrade early, which is based on your current monthly tariff mutliplied by the months left you have on your contract until the minimum term ends (this figure also doesn't include any additional bolt ons, its just based on your core tariff)

For example, if your tariff is £15.50 per month plus £6 per month all rounder data bolt on for 500 MB so your bills are £21.50 per month, the buyout fee would be £15.50 x 5 months would be approx £77.50

Hope this helps slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
Hi Katie1984.

Short answer no, you can not do this.

Essentially what you are wanting to do is upgrade early which is not presently something O2 are offering.

The only way round this would be your partner does the upgrade (and therefore ties in for another contract term) and you use your SIM in their new phone and when your number is due for upgrade they take your upgrade phone and use their SIM in it.

Not ideal, but the only way around it.

Hopefully this clears it up.
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93154 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Unfortunately you can't transfer numbers between contract. Transferring the number can only be done by paying up your contract and migrating the number to a P&G sim. You could then use that number for your wife's contract.

Message 3 of 5

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Moved to Pay Monthly and Pay & Go' slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Katie

The guys are right the switching of numbers as you descibed can't be done.

However, if your upgrade is due in May for your mobile number, which is the one you want to upgrade, you can call 202 free from your O2 mobile phone, and ask to speak to the Upgrades team to find out how much it would cost for you to do an early upgrade now rather than waiting until May.

O2 do offer the option of paying a buyout fee to upgrade early, which is based on your current monthly tariff mutliplied by the months left you have on your contract until the minimum term ends (this figure also doesn't include any additional bolt ons, its just based on your core tariff)

For example, if your tariff is £15.50 per month plus £6 per month all rounder data bolt on for 500 MB so your bills are £21.50 per month, the buyout fee would be £15.50 x 5 months would be approx £77.50

Hope this helps slight_smile

Message 5 of 5