cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Number to 02

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm transferring from an iPhone 3G with vodafone to an iPhone 5 with o2 (pay monthly).  My transfer should be happening today.  My old phone has lost internet access but still has phone signal.  The new phone still has signal, and temporarily lost internet access earlier today (it's now back though.  When I try calling both my existing number and the temporary number, the call doesn't go through. I spoke to o2 earlier and they said it's in progress (I know it can take up to 24 hours), but how will I know when it's complete (at which point I need to update the phone number in the settings)?  Will it be when my old 3G phone goes dead?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144326 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You old sim should go dead before the transfer is complete (sounds like it has already from what you've said). Try rebooting your new phone every hour until you can make a call on it but be aware texts can sometimes take longer to become active after calls are connected.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144326 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You old sim should go dead before the transfer is complete (sounds like it has already from what you've said). Try rebooting your new phone every hour until you can make a call on it but be aware texts can sometimes take longer to become active after calls are connected.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! My old phone has no 3G connection, but I can still make calls. Does that mean it's still in progress?

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144326 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes it will be in progress. It can happen at any time so keep checking for signal until it completes.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You will need to check your APN settings if you can't get access to the web later.

idata bolton on ......idata.o2.co.uk

standard bolt on.....mobile.o2.co.uk

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

The number should be up and running no later than 6pm and sms may take a little longer.

Remember, once it's done, to go to Settings then Phone on the iPhone 5 and delete he temporary number from 'My Number' and type in your vodafone one. Also remember to text WIFI to 2121.

And while you're at it - text MOMENTS to 2020 and it'll give you an app which gets discounts in shops and cinemas and stuff slight_smile

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Haha...nothing like a bit of advertisingSmiley Very Happy

Haha i'm too used to telling people that on the phone when they want to port in wink

Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Haha...nothing like a bit of advertisingSmiley Very Happy

Haha i'm too used to telling people that on the phone when they want to port in wink

I've heard the spiel when I have had to phone inSmiley LOL

I'm still waiting for them to tell me to download TuGo wink

Message 10 of 11