cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues! 4G, 1 Bar, no calls, texts or internet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having an issue with my phone and found some interesting stuff which i would like to know if anyone else has the same problems. I have raised this with o2 but fobbed off many times so hopefully a group of people reporting it might give them a kick.

I have a Sony Z3 and it keeps locking onto 4G despite there being no 4G in my area and no plans for it this year. I have found that a bug in the Sony firmware has left thousands of Z3 phones locking onto poor 4G signal rather than using the much stronger and fast 3G signal.

I have recent found that Blackberry 8520 phone are now having issues in my area with the internet. 8520's are non-3G phones and use the old frequencies (GSM) to receive internet services. It has been suggested that a o2 are testing the old frequencies, preping them for 4G and at the same time broadcasting this which then causes issues for Sony Z3 handsets.

I have reported this to o2 multiple times but they feel its not there problem as its a bug in the Sony firmware. I feel it is partly there problem as the sell Sony Z3's as compatible devices for there services.

Has anyone else had these issues? would love to hear about them and hopefully make o2 listen.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Could be that it's not optimised for the O2 network.....?
But the O2 apn should help rather than a generic one?

I have thought that before, I'm sure O2 optimise it, I started a thread a while back when I was on the UK generic.

The solution for me was to flash O2_UK firmware.

But obviously that's not a solution for everyone.

My recommendation is to spend a while on XDA forum for Z3 and learn how to flash a ROM while unticking wipe user data.

Message 11 of 17

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

This is an interesting one... I've seen problems like this before on earlier Sony handsets, and Viridis is correct the O2 firmware does "appear" to provide a better signal strength, however each phone vendor and subsequent service provider can change the levels of signal displayed, what is 5 bars on one manufacturer is 3 on another, this is only how the firmware provider decides to display signal strength.

Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and since the beginning of April I'm having this same exact issue, 4G is also not available in my area but I'm getting it on both my N4 and iPad Air 2.

Network Services believe I shouldn't be receiving 4G and they're looking into it, this has caused me some serious issues because I've recently gone self employed and I'm working from home now and I'm missing alot of calls now as they tend to go straight to Voicemail or the other person gets unavailable tone. I full well know that o2 cannot provide me a coverage everywhere but going from a poor signal for 12 months to a now non existent one is very frustrating! The TuGo app doesn't solve my issue but enhances my poor signal due to it not kicking in when it should.

I'm currently liaising with the Executive Office about this so I'm hoping they can resolve my issue or at least we can come to a satisfactory resolution.
Message 13 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Change network mode to 2g or 3g.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

If you are in a fringe area or work is ongoing it could be issues you are getting. Follow the advice above and if you are pay monthly then TuGo may help when connected to wifi.

Message 15 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi both, I've already tried 2G only mode and 2G/3G only which doesn't make much difference.

TuGo unfortunately is too unreliable, it's ok for outgoing calls but incoming calls do not work!

Network services have advised that this issue can take several months before it can settle down, even then he couldn't guarantee it would.
Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

maverick1103 wrote:
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and since the beginning of April I'm having this same exact issue, 4G is also not available in my area but I'm getting it on both my N4 and iPad Air 2.

Network Services believe I shouldn't be receiving 4G and they're looking into it, this has caused me some serious issues because I've recently gone self employed and I'm working from home now and I'm missing alot of calls now as they tend to go straight to Voicemail or the other person gets unavailable tone. I full well know that o2 cannot provide me a coverage everywhere but going from a poor signal for 12 months to a now non existent one is very frustrating! The TuGo app doesn't solve my issue but enhances my poor signal due to it not kicking in when it should.

I'm currently liaising with the Executive Office about this so I'm hoping they can resolve my issue or at least we can come to a satisfactory resolution.

Any chance you can keep me updated with the outcome? also, how did you get in touch with the exec office? I constantly get fobed off and told my phone is broke and they dont have an offical complaints procedure apparently.

On another note, further to this thread I now have another work phone with the same issue. This phone is a Blackberry Q5 which is switching to 4G and at this point they can't make phone calls, text or internet.

To summarise, thats 2 Blackberry 8520 thats no longer get 2G, a Blackberry Q5 that gets 4G, a Sony Z3 that gets 4G, no 4G towers in the area and 2G and 3G are fully fuctional with no faults yet o2 maintain that my phone is faulty.

please!

Message 17 of 17