Did you mean: 

Reducing Monthly Tariff

Bex1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just another example of big business!

Outraged to discover that I am no longer able to reduce my monthly tarrif. I have been with O2 for several years and disgusted to discover that I can INCREASE my tariff (of course I can!) but unable to decrease it. Circumstances change thus to allow responsible management of accounts I & everyone else must have the flexibility to reflect this. I will not be renewing my contract with O2 as a result and I would urge them to reconsider their policy on the aformentioned issue. Just another kick in the teeth for already struggling members of the public. As long as you make you millions in profits though O2!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It has been this way since 2012.
Rightly or wrongly it's part of the T&C's you signed up to I'm afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you not read the t&c when you signed up? The only way you are able to reduce your tariff is to pay off the device plan if you are on Refresh or pay up your existing months if you are on a standard contract
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It's a sad fact of life that peoples' circumstances do change but O2 in their wisdom stopped us lowering the tariff midway through the contract when Refresh was introduced. It would be beneficial to everyone to reintroduce it.

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
At least with refresh you have a cheaper way out alternative.
Selling the phone would go towards paying off what is owed to O2 and once cleared a new lower cost tariff can be taken out.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

There are far better options open to you with refresh undoubtably and by now most people will have this type of contract. It's the people who buy from independents that now have no option at all. Even selling the phone probably won't pay off the balance owed for the remaining minimum term.

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It's unlikely to realise enough money even on refresh but it sure will be a lot closer.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Bex1 wrote:

Just another example of big business!

Outraged to discover that I am no longer able to reduce my monthly tarrif. I have been with O2 for several years and disgusted to discover that I can INCREASE my tariff (of course I can!) but unable to decrease it. Circumstances change thus to allow responsible management of accounts I & everyone else must have the flexibility to reflect this. I will not be renewing my contract with O2 as a result and I would urge them to reconsider their policy on the aformentioned issue. Just another kick in the teeth for already struggling members of the public. As long as you make you millions in profits though O2!

That's right. As long as they make their millions, they wouldn't care, but why should they? They don't have to play nice - they've already monopolized the market and the product they are selling could pretty much be classified as a "must have" in these day and age. Regulations are virtually non-existent, and what's worse, a lot of consumers seem to have delevoped a some sort of the Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to their relationship with these companies - I mean they have stopped demanding and switched to actually defending these big businesses. Even if you read into this forum, you'll see a lot of replies along the "ah..well, that's the way it goes" lines when someone starts complaining, or "moaning" as these people would call it. I remember myself having a little argument over the Live Chat's poor levels of CS back in a days and getting told that I'd have to show some understanding cause these folks are getting paid very low salaries as it would have anything to do with anything at all.

Anyway...

The only weapon us, consumers, are left being left with these days is the power to switch providers, as you can switch your number from one network to another, then to the next network, then again to the first network you were with and so on, back and forth, to your heart's content. However, in order to be able to do this, one should avoid any long-term commitments. I'd never commit myself for 24 months to any mobile contract. Ok, I do have a Refresh contract, but once I've paid the device off, I'm effectively on a rolling monthly contract. Therefore I'd advise the following:

1) Do buy your phone outright whenever possible. If you can't afford to buy it then...well, you can't afford this phone no matter how much you want it.

2) Never commit to any long-term contracts, especially the 24 months ones.

3) Do some market research now and then for any good deals available and switch providers if there's something more suitable available.

Message 8 of 10

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I used to do this and thought it was a great feature. However they changed this rule a while ago and I simply accepted it. Thankfully I don't need to change it down as i constantly use up to my GB limit pm. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@cyrillicguy hits the nail on the head, research everything, choose the best deal and consider things that may possibly happen in the future. No one lives in a plastic bubble and there are relatively few people who can be sure what their future holds.

I always buy the phone outright and choose the best sim only tariff for my needs with whatever network offers the best deal along with good coverage. All to often people want the latest and greatest new smartphone whatever the cost and a couple of months down the line their circumstances change or they realise they cannot really justify or afford the monthly outgoings.

Not everyone can afford to buy the phone outright obviously but our parents were brought up to buy what you can afford, save for the things you want. It's something I was brought up to do. I have a 12 month sim only contract, my first ever contract, only because, a) I can afford it b) it was very cheap and i got a good discount, and c) it meets my needs and if I want to pay it off it won't be a problem. 

We are all different,  hence the many different options open to us. Make the right choice for yourselves.

Message 10 of 10