cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ports or service type blocking - CCTV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm trying to connect to my office CCTV which uses two tcp ports - 5290 for commands and 5291 for streaming. My iphone app (MViewer) can connect fine using a local IP addresses over the local LAN/WiFi, but if I try to access the CCTV DVR box from O2's mobile network it simpy cannot connect.

I know my ADSL router is set up OK (work with this stuff all day) and can happily get access from external networks using WiFi on my phone, but as soon as I disable WiFi and rely on the O2 GPRS/3G system, I get no access.

I did try to sort this out months ago (while still locked in a contract), but gave up as the frontline support staff simply hadn't a clue what I was talking about. A mate, who has the same setup but on Vodaphone gets access no problem, so i can only summise that O2 is restricting based on port or traffic content.

Anyone here who knows what O2's policy is as I'm out of contract now so would like to fix this one way or the other.

Steve

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
I know exactly what u need..... a call to tech support! LoL

Whether ur contract or PAYG ur still an O2 customer and entitled to help from the tech team.

TBH I ain't git a clue what ur on about slight_smile
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Wow that's a good one:)

I'm not 100% sure it may be port restrictions(not ruling it out)

Could it be a lack of bandwidth? Have you tried a 3G speed test in your area?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 19

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/pdf/O2GPRS3GServiceVPNSolutionsAUG09.pdf

O2 offers a VPN service which would probally be an extra but looking at it I believe it can be customised to your needs.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 19

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
There is another option but its a greay area on using it.
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
@santrix69

Hi there,

Just my input having faced similar tasks myself..

I don't believe O2 block these ports. Now I could be wrong, but I use my handset to access remote desktop ports, SSH ports and occasional VPN ports - and all connect fine. I would ring O2 and ask them directly - their technical department are very good at what they do and know a lot about their network.

Sorry I cannot be of more help!
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies... I don't really want to crash out on a separate VPN carrier service when Vodaphone doesn't block this traffic. As Frank says he has no problems, then maybe there is some account-based settings O2 can tweak? I'll try one more time, then I'm off to Voda...

Message 6 of 19

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
That's understandable, sorry I wasn't able to help more.

Let us know if you have any luck.
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you got the option on your ADSL router (which I have to say I hope is firewalled!) to port forward from a WAN port of say, port 80 (which we know O2 allow) to a LAN port of 5290? It may be that O2 don't allow the kind of protocol your DVR box is running on. Although I have to say this is unlikely, as I've used the vmware ESX control panel over O2s 3G and that is by far one of the most obscure protocols they will ever have come across!
Message 8 of 19

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions

Whether ur contract or PAYG ur still an O2 customer and entitled to help from the tech team.

Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 9 of 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@macblank wrote:

O2 support are unlikely to have any idea either!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 19