cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phonebook Hacked

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anybody throw any light on the following problem. I store all my contacts etc on my computer. A week or so ago a friend of mine received a text which was supposed to have been sent by me. It wasnt. The phone is always with me. So nobody else I thought had access to it. But this doesnt seem to be the case. There is no record of the text on my phone. Is it possible that my phone book/phone details have been hacked? Any suggestions please. Gerry
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
In rare circmstances a fone can send a random text by itself !

Possibly a software update can cure such bugs.

Was the text blank or gibberish, and is your friend the 1st person in your contact list.

Obviously if the text has a messsage written and makes sense then its possible you have been cloned, again rare as they dont steal your info just to text a person in your contact list !

Are you sure someone within your circle of friends or family are not playing a joke on you or possibly you 'sleepwalk and text.'

Sounds like a new type of tarrif to me.... lol......
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dont sleepwalk!!! Text was sent about 11:00am The person who received it is in the middle of my contacts. It has been suggested that 3rd party software may be able to "clone" the phone. All my contacts and phone details are stored on my computer for "safekeeping" Gerry
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
The time and trouble to clone a fone is done to steal talktime , not send a text to a friend !

Perform a security sweep on your pc and clean up any filkes you may have downloaded on your pc and fone.

If this persists then contact the network and police.
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just remember that anyone can use one of those 'joke' websites that send a text which appears to come from someone's number.
It is extremely unlikely that someone would hack into your PC, just to send a message to one of your friends!
No-one is going to go to the huge expense of cloning your account, just to message your friend.
Its far more likely that either your friend is mistaken, their phone is faulty (sticking the wrong numbers on texts) or its one of the spoofing sites.
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I strongly suspect a prank here but run a full scan and I'd advise putting your contact list on an external hard disk which you only connect when needed.
Message 6 of 6